Box, Russian, and Sulcata

Espie

Location (City and/or State)
Roseville
Hi all,
So I have a approx 7 year old box tortoise, a approx 6 year old Russian and a baby sulcata. The box and Russian have an out door pen for summer and indoor pen for winter. The sulcata is indoors except for some outdoor time each day. They are all separated by a wall when in the outdoor pen. My question is would it be OK to let them meet and roam free in the big yard sometimes, I would be out with them to monitor but just wondering if they would get along?

Attachments

• 20210228_154520-COLLAGE~2.jpg
    20210228_154520-COLLAGE~2.jpg
    668.8 KB · Views: 12

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, they should never cross paths. They may spread disease/pathogens/etc that they have never come across before and would not be able to fight them off
They do not want a friend anyway. They are loners and only fight or breed when they come across another of their own.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Got it, thank you ?
I agree with Barb. They shouldn't even have contact with the ground where one of the others have been.

Also, be very careful with the dogs. Even the most loving wonderful dogs will use a tortoise as a chew toy, even if they have shown no interest for years. Dogs and dehydration are the top two killers of pet tortoises.

Espie

Roseville
Thank you, will do. Oh the dogs can't get in the pens we made sure of that.

Reactions: Tom