Box Turtles - how many together?

jwr0201

Location (City and/or State)
Sarasota, FL
I've read strong recommendations against keeping more than one tortoises in the same enclosure. What about Box turtles and Wood turtles? Are they any more tolerant, or does the same go for them? Also, is the room needed for their enclosure comparable to torts, or can they be housed in slightly smaller digs?
I'm plan approx. 45-55 sf for a single Russian or Herman's - same for a single boxie?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Same goes for Boxies as far as numbers. One male multiple females or single.
They also need as much room. They need hides, pond of some sort, etc.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've read strong recommendations against keeping more than one tortoises in the same enclosure. What about Box turtles and Wood turtles? Are they any more tolerant, or does the same go for them? Also, is the room needed for their enclosure comparable to torts, or can they be housed in slightly smaller digs?
I'm plan approx. 45-55 sf for a single Russian or Herman's - same for a single boxie?
Keeping more than one tortoise can work just fine. The problem is keeping them in PAIRS. When there are just two of them, its a problem. This would also apply to box turtles. Groups of juveniles and babies are usually fine. As adults, you can keep groups in a large, well planted enclosure with one male and 3-4 females. This will usually work, but not always.

m irwin

Dallas
In my experience, my three toed and ornate box turtle's do perfectly fine together in a large enclosure. They don't fight nor have I ever seen a female ganged up on. I have a large enclosure and I mean large, and I'm sure that helps. The only interaction they have outside of mating is when I feed them and they will climb over each other to get to the food if there are enough of them trying at once. I set up multiple feeding stations to avoid this.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Depends upon whether you're talkin' indoors or outside; how big or small is the space; many, many variables to answer without more info.