Bob's Temper Tantrum

M

Maggie Cummings

For those of you that don't know, Bob is a 150 pound 16 year old Sulcata. My sis operates a tortoise rescue in Clovis CA and 11 years ago she asked if I could keep this 5 yr old Sulcata as she just didn't have room for him at that time. I have had him ever since. He has the biggest out-going personality and he's so smart I just couldn't give him back to her. 8 years ago I left Clovis and moved to Oregon where the weather is not the greatest for a sun worshipping tort. Most mornings I open his doggie door and he can come and go as he pleases, except when it's cold and raining. I let him go out in the snow, but cold rain I don't. This morning it was 40 degrees and a steady rain and I did not open his door and he got mad. He does throw temper tantrums and rams the walls so hard I can hear him in my house. The sun had been shining for a few days and he got used to going out. He was already pyramided when I got him and those 'flairs' over his head are not supposed to look like that. He should be smooth with rounded edges. This shows that whatever damage is done to them when they are young does not go away.
Here's a photo of his yard and shed.
You can see the trail of hay, poop and pee that he leaves when he's mad. It does not look as bad in the photo as it is in reality. The big thing is his water dish. He moves it out of the corner and poops in it. He does it on purpose and in my mind I can just see him pulling it out of the corner with his foot,IMG_1715.JPG IMG_1716.JPG IMG_1717.JPG IMG_1718.JPG IMG_1722.JPG IMG_1723.JPG IMG_1725.JPG IMG_1712.JPG IMG_1716.JPG and slinging his butt over it and leaving me a present, the jerk.
When he does get out he is smart enough to stand on his back legs and he pushes the top row of cinder blocks over and has escaped. There are metal stakes inside the blocks, but he is so strong. So I have to put a barrier up in the corners that he works. Looks hokey but they work.
I have written some stories about his escapes, they are posted here on the Forum. I just wanted to show some of you new keepers with small Sulcata what you are in for when those small tortoises get big.
I would not trade Bob for anything, but he sure keeps me on my toes.

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Love hearing about Bob. I can't imagine him pooping in that water dish. It must be quite a sight if you could ever catch him. Probably with a sh**ty grin on his face while doing it too:D Gotta love him though, sounds like a lot of fun, yet lot of work at the same time trying to stay one step ahead of him:)

alex_ornelas

newark ca
Omg that just adorable. Great story. Im always tell my little sucata hes my baby. they can be like really large kidss. Hes a handsome fellow you have there

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Bob! Hang in there until tomorrow, we should get some sun.
Maggie, I guess he thinks you are responsible for the weather, lol.

How do you clean out his shed? Do you have to hose it out from the inside?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Thank you for introducing Bob to us. What a nice looking torts.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@DeanS (The IROC made it down to Clovis and back with only one overheating incident and no speeding tickets)

M

Maggie Cummings

Lynne, I have his hay stacked in the shed so I don't hose it out. I do it the hard way, first I sweep all the peed on hay and poop over to the door and pick it up with a shovel. Then I mop the floor. It's a pain but I don't want the good hay that he eats getting wet.

Dean...I put a new bigger faster motor in it a couple of years ago, so I only got 24 MPG. But no tickets for a change, and I had a good time driving it. It was good to see my sister and how much her tortoises have grown.hpim2627.jpg

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
GO BOB!

WalkingRock has a flap style door so he can come and go as he pleases. He's been known to stick his head out and just watch the weather, then retreat inside. With the flap door, he also gets visitors.... on a cold night our cat will often sleep with him.

M

Maggie Cummings

I have to close Bob's doggie door at night because we have raccoons and coyote's in the yard at night. The 'coons every night and the coyotes periodically. Too dangerous for Bob...

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Bob is bigger than life. He has a personality that reaches out and grabs you. He's living proof that animals, even reptiles, are a lot smarter than we give them credit for.
The world deserves Bob. And Maggie, who "trains" him. Best chelonian rescuer ever.

M

Maggie Cummings

Stephanie came all the way from Colorado to meet Bob 2years ago. I forgot about that video. It's so fun to see it now. And my fellow chelonia lovers, that's my scratchie voice...
and before all you purists jump on me, Bob is fed a very good diet and every year he gets a bit of watermelon. I would not feed any to a small tort or one who wasn't quite healthy. But you can see a little bit of watermelon hasn't hurt him any...