I witnessed my first tortoise tantrum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weda737

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NC
Sure he gets stompy and a little indignant sometimes. But when I came home from work today he was flat out mad! I had to work at 7 this morning which is really rare and I guess I've been spending a lot of time fixing up things for my dum that I just haven't taken him outside in a few days. Today was chilly and rainy anyway but he would hear nothing of it. He raced around his tank, just going as fast as he could go, and when he saw me he came running up to the glass and tried to climb his log hide to get to me. He had spring mix in his bowl, I know he wasn't hungry. So I went ahead and took him outside for a while and let him pick some nice clover. When we came back in I moistened some moss I got for him and put it in his hide. Don't worry, just because I have a new snake doesn't mean I'm going to neglect or get tired of my other little boogers. He crashed in his water bowl to warm up then got a treat of some mazuri and zoo med. I crashed too... I tried to clock out for lunch today by swiping my debit card lol. I'm so not a morning person. I've just never seen the little guy run so fast...

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Good story! Get use to the tantrums tho. Cooper has them all the time. But 95% of the time all he wants is for me to get him out and lay him on his tortoise towel on the bed with me. Once he walks around for a minute he will find a comfy spot and sleep for hours if I let him. But he has been spoiled like this since he was 2 months old so this is what he is use to, and I would have it no other way. I love how he likes to spend time with me just laying around on the bed! have a great day! :)

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Hope Big momma doesn't have a tantrum....she might smash through everything! :O
Great story! :)

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
just wait till he's over 60lbs... then you'll see tantrums!

When WalkingRock throws a fit, the cat stays on top of anything outside and Surge can't even go in the yard without WalkingRock chasing him off!

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
DanaLachney said:
Do they ever show aggression towards people?!

I was just in the tortoise cage and my hand was dangling in and big momma kept nundging me, she doesn't stop until i rub her head/neck but this time i was busy...
So when my hand was there she bit it, and ripped part of my nail off, and now it isbleeding and very painful....but i think she was just curious. OUCH!

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
When WR is in a bad mood and doesn't want to be disturbed, He will hiss and lundge foward very quickly... He caught me once in the shins and it was very painful. He has done this with both the cat and dog and they have both learned to be warry around him.

Sometimes he is quite the bully!

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
Well by the time my Sullys (when I get them) are big enough to hurt people my kids will be big enough to understand when they are in a bad mood to stay away ;) my daughter will be 5 in august and my son is 19 months :)

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
It is this behavior that the school chose not to adopt our other male Sulcata.

At the time he was 7 and about 20lbs or so and he was being concidered for the School as a whole (not a classroom pet) with his own stomping area and corral. When Pam(Director) saw WR do this one day, all she saw in her minds eye was a 50lb tort-vs- a 15lb tottler! needless to say Rocky had to find another home!

TotallyTank

5 Year Member
Albuquerque, NM
I have to say I never thought about it as a tantrum, but tank has them all the time. He is very vocal, he hisses and groans and grunts when he does not like things. He does not bump things but he is very good at expressing his emotions!

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
Willie will walk over my foot , I mean over and over. 13 pounds doesn't sound like a lot yet but with the stubby feet and nails it doesn't tickle. Now I understand why he/she hisses so much when I remove her/him from the veggie garden... Lol. Has never tried to bite , yet!

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Lol they really do have a lot of personality, not what you typically think of when you think "reptile." My fiance was cleaning his food bowl one day and put it back in.... empty. Do you believe the nerve of this guy?! (of course he was just going to the fridge to get food) The moment he sat that empty dish down the tort ran up to it, looked at it, sniffed, then gave Chris the biggest stink eye I've ever seen from something so small. That was the start... of little mister attitude.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
mary t said:
Willie will walk over my foot , I mean over and over. 13 pounds doesn't sound like a lot yet but with the stubby feet and nails it doesn't tickle. Now I understand why he/she hisses so much when I remove her/him from the veggie garden... Lol. Has never tried to bite , yet!
I could imagine, even my little dogs with their peg legs is unpleasant to walk on my feet. Let alone my fifty pound lardo of an Australian shepherd.

Hallbomber

5 Year Member
Southern California
My two baby leopards wake me every morning around 8am scratching their nails on the wooden walls of their home non stop until i feed them. Right when i get up they stop scratching and wait for their food sitting directly on their food dishes guarding their areas.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Aww so cute, Levi just stares mournfully through the hole in the top of his house when he decrees I havent been as attentive as he likes :D

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
ShadowRancher said:
Aww so cute, Levi just stares mournfully through the hole in the top of his house when he decrees I havent been as attentive as he likes :D

Awww, I'm such a softy, that would just break my heart.

Zamric said:
I see YOUR training is coming along well! :D

Yes... I'm so ashamed lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.