Bob

• Thread starter Maggie Cummings
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

Here's Bob and his breakfast. All of you are always posting pictures of your babies, so I thought I'd show you Bob. Unfortunately I don't have anyway to make a size comparison...Bob is about 95 pounds...This is him and his breakfast. I walk around my area and collect weeds and blossoms for him to eat. I got all this in about 3 minutes...

vg27w4.jpg

28i0w14.jpg

4kiszl.jpg

w9gy2h.jpg

2lkp6kg.jpg

This is Natasha, she is my one-eyed Russian. She is extremely shy and as soon as she sensed movement she sucked herself and her dandelion flower back into her shell...

27zkaid.jpg

So that is an example of breakfast at my house. I have 6 other tortoises and a colony of box turtles who would eat the dandelions also but they had all eaten and gone back to bed before I decided to take the pictures...I hope you enjoy them...(and for this session we'll pretend Natasha is a Sulcata)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Thanks for sharing your pictures, Maggie. Its been a while since I've seen Bob. He's looking pretty BIG!!

I'm just curious why you don't open his door and let HIM decide if its too cold for him to go out or not?

Yvonne

(And those are some might BIG dandelion blossoms! You must live near the Dandy nursery!!)

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Maggie :D
Bob is so beautiful!!!! He is an amazing Sulcata. He must be so big comparing to my little Hermy :D.
Natasha looks beautiful too, she looks really cute too big for her carapace.
Yvonne is right, those blossoms are huge, Hermy would go gaga if he had one in front of him haha
Thanks a lot from sharing.

M

Maggie Cummings

emysemys said:
Thanks for sharing your pictures, Maggie. Its been a while since I've seen Bob. He's looking pretty BIG!!

I'm just curious why you don't open his door and let HIM decide if its too cold for him to go out or not?

Yvonne

(And those are some might BIG dandelion blossoms! You must live near the Dandy nursery!!)

I think that dandelion should be the Oregon state flower there are so many around here that my tortoises can't eat them all...Bob can't go out today as it is 49 degrees and raining. But it's supposed to be close to 65 by this afternoon and I will open his door then. Hot and wet is fine, cold and wet is not...:)

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Maggie as soon as I scrolled down and saw a posting that said "Bob" I had to click on it right away and tell my boys. He's so cute and so is your one eyed Russian (Although that sounds like it could have been the title of a James Bond movie :D . You could have stood next to Bob and set your camera to take the picture for a comparison, but we all know that you are camera shy right? :p

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Maggie, Bob looks really good and what a feast one set for a King. and your little Natasha, the honorary Sulcata, well no wonder someone said she was a tad over weight. Look at the size of the dandelions. She looked like she was really enjoying them and not willing to share :)

chadk

10 Year Member!
Bob is awesome! My yard is more dandilion than grass I'm afraid. I used to fight it, but not anymore. My goats, rabbits, ducks, geese, chickens, beardie, dubias, and torts all love them soooo much.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
On the side of the road near me there are some huge dandelions, but it's near a footpath and a road with car exhaust, so Trevor doesn't get any. I wish I had a yard!! He loves dandy greens but they are about $4 so it's only about once a month we get them, as we can usually get him more variety for cheaper.

Looks like quite the breakfast for Bob. My coworkers today were astonished to see on the Trevor cam that he eats a pile of greens almost as big as he is! hehe A growing boy. Although not quite as chubby as Natasha!

M

Maggie Cummings

Everybody says how fat Natasha is, but actually she is deformed in that her shell has not grown like her body has...she gets fed weeds or a tortoise salad every other day...I don't know why she looks so fat...I don't over feed her...
Those dandelions grow wild around my house. I live in a semi rural area and I just go for a walk and carry a bag with me the collection is easy...

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Sorry, Maggie! Didn't mean to call her fat if she has a deformity. That was rather due of me. Poor Natasha. That doesn't look too comfortable.

You're very lucky with all the food growing wild.

M

Maggie Cummings

Well...I'm just not really sure about Natasha...Danny 'suggested' that her shell might be deformed because her body looks like it doesn't fit within her shell...and I SWEAR I don't over feed her...

This comes from a person who has a 25 pound cat, a parakeet who is too fat to fly and a pond turtle who actually has fat wrinkles...but she only has 2.5 legs so she doesn't get much exercise...
But I swear I don't over feed any of them...:)

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Bob looks great! I wish I had that many dandelions. And, I have to agree with Candy that it sounds like a James Bond movie!

Status
Not open for further replies.