Bob did it again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

My health hasn't been too good recently so I sit around a lot and this afternoon I fell asleep sitting up while reading a book. I was in that state between real sleep and being awake and I heard some banging in my carport or on the deck. I was too asleep really to know what it was, and it wasn't alarming because my neighbors are always going up my back stairs leaving picked weeds for Bob. So it wasn't enough to really wake me up, but then there was a knocking on my door that did wake me and it was the 14 yr old kid from next door..."Maggie, Bob is out in front going up your driveway." The brilliant conversationalist that I am I say" Are you sure it's Bob?". Like there were other 130 pound tortoises living in the area. He says" I'm sure it's Bob". So I go flying out and sure enough there's Bob grazing in the front yard. He used to escape a lot so I worked really hard to create an escape proof yard for him. But just this morning in trying to give him more room I had cleaned up the area behind his shed and propped open the gate there. One small part was blocked off with cinder blocks with wooden stakes inside to anchor them down. Evidently they were no problem for the King.
148ao1.jpg

The knocked over block smashed the day lily that had just come up, and he continued on his path of destruction...
2iih734.jpg

This was my box turtle pen. Thank God it is still too cold here for them to be outside, they would have all escaped. Or more likely smashed by Sulcata.
2zdx092.jpg

This was just the other side of the box turtle pen. He broke my toadstool house, the solar thingy for the turtle lights around that area and the glass gazing ball, and on he went...
w00zgl.jpg

This area is for my smaller desert tortoises. He knocked the fence over but only broke out a couple of slats. I'm guessing he was getting tired about this time and full from all the grazing he was doing...
ofy6td.jpg

This shot shows his path of destruction looking back the way he came...
2upb5oi.jpg

This morning my hand was hurting pretty bad so I had trouble closing the chain link gate. I couldn't get the latch all the way down...but why worry about it as he can't escape from his pen. HA! So he pushed open that gate and grazed his way up alongside the house, around the front when he got to the end of the walk if he went right he could go up the street, but he turned left went alongside the carport and up the 5 steps onto the deck where he knocked over some plants and put muddy scrape marks on the back door. Trying to get to me do ya think? Then he went back down those 5 steps and back to the front yard where Ethan saw him and put an end to Bob's adventure. Man, talk about a freakin heart attack. I really do believe he is smart enough to know his own house, otherwise why didn't he take off up the street? He came down the stairs and went around to the front yard and was simply grazing in the tall grass.
So anyhow, there ya go. I will put a picture of him so those of you who don't know Bob can see how pretty he is...the jerk!
2r22kgi.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Oh, Maggie! Oh, Bob!!!

So glad to see you back, Maggie. To tell the truth, I'm the one who put the bug in Bob's ear. It was the only way Cowboy Ken and I could think of to get you back posting on the Forum!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I am laughing my you no what off. My hubby is on as that Bob did this and even went up and down stairs. But look at that face, you gotta love that big lug. Maggie, you have to do a Bob book. Hope you start feeling better soon. We miss ya on here and your great Bob adventures:)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sorry you are not filling good.But thats funny looks like a pig rooted up everything l.o.l.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Wow, Bob is as beautiful and bad as ever! I was so excited to see a Bob thread! Sorry about all the work he created for you :(.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Whoa--bad to the bone!

All tortoises are bulldozers...they simply are not built to be light on their feet. :tort:

M

Maggie Cummings

I just now went to lock him in for the night and there's blood tracks on the floor of his shed. He was already in bed but I lifted up his back feet and can see a wound on one. I cleaned it with peroxide. If you look at the third to the last picture where I said I keep my smaller desert torts there's a wooden plank there and 2 nails sticking up out of it. They're rusty, but I cleaned the wound good enough I think.
I am glad you all are enjoying the story.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Thanks Maggie. I did enjoy this story. Good to have you and Bob back on the Forum. Hope his foot is okay.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Nice to see you, Maggie, and King Bob, of course.
What a bulldozer, in the name of food. He looks so proud in the last picture.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
So I'm sitting here, getting ready to go to work...contemplating my existence on this Forum...and, right before my naked, steaming eyes, up pops a (new) Bob thread! GREAT! My mind has been made up for me! Good to see you make an appearance Maggie...so sorry about your health...and I will pray for a speedy recovery. In any event...

HAIL TO THE KING!

2r22kgi.jpg

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Oh Bob...What a day Maggie. You deserve extra rest tomorrow!

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
I knew sulcatas were intelligent creatures! I love that he actually came up the steps and didn't just take off. I take my little two year old sully on walks down my dirt drive way, now he always takes off in that direction. Probably not a good thing, but I just know they got gears turning in those little heads. Thank you for sharing Bob with us.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
KING ROBERT STRIKES AGAINNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!

Hi Maggie. Nice to see you. Glad to see you are still kickin'. My friend whose place we visited is moving up to Oregon. Don't know the city yet. I'll PM you when I know. Every time we go there now, my little girl says, "Hey. This is the road where I threw up. Remember Daddy?"

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Good to see you on here and to read your exciting stories. Glad his foot is doing better. It's funny that he just kept on trucking towards the front yard! I bet you're happy you have some trustworthy neighbors. Praying for you and your health.

Sulcata (Dexter)
Russian (Ezek)

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Oh My!

So glad to see you again Maggie!

Boy... WalkingRock has excaped the yard twice now but he doesn't leave a path of destruction when he excapes... just a noticable Void in the yard! But then again.... Bob is quite a bit bigger than WalkingRock too! ;) (and that says somthing!)

Status
Not open for further replies.