blocked sulcata

kathyb

Please help!! My sulcata tortoise has been straining to poop...when I feel up his rectum He has a large blockage of very hard gritty material. I have put mineral oil in his rectum but hoping someone may know what I can do to break this up in smaller pieces so he can pass it. Please help!!! I've been out of work and just had sugery yesterday so large veterinary bills are just not possible right now. I have been a veterinary assistant for about 20 years and all the Dr's I've worked for really aren't knowlegeable with tortoises anyway but I'm not afraid to get in there and do what needs to be done. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Squirt some mineral oil all around the stone then pick at it and try to break it up. If you have a dental pic, that works well, or if no, anything small enough to fit in the cloaca. If you can't get it out, you'll have to take him to the vet. You can also try to gently press on each side of the stone on the outside of his tail (like you're popping a pimple) and try to help it pass.

Tactical Tort

5 Year Member
Northern CA
I would try all that Yvonne has said. I would also do some warm water soaks. That will help hydrate. Especially around the mass. Has worked for us in the past on several different animals including our tort when he was younger. It really helps.
Good luck! Keep us posted!

kathyb

Squirt some mineral oil all around the stone then pick at it and try to break it up. If you have a dental pic, that works well, or if no, anything small enough to fit in the cloaca. If you can't get it out, you'll have to take him to the vet. You can also try to gently press on each side of the stone on the outside of his tail (like you're popping a pimple) and try to help it pass.
Thank you so much for the advice. I will keep at it. I love the "little" guy so much and it breaks my heart to see and hear him strain

kathyb

Is there anything I can do to help break it up. It is too large for him to pass

kathyb

I'd just suck it up and go see a vet now. Heck, if anything just as a getting to know you visit before a possible needed visit.
Thanks. Sure wish I could...I lost my job about 6 months ago for medical reasons and just had surgery day before yesterday. Since I have worked for vets for many years I know they don't Bill their patients and none of the vets I've worked for know how to deal with tortoises anyway.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
@kathyb I'm really sorry about all of that. I, too am in about the same space as yourself. We could talk for hours I'm sure of it.