Update on baby sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Update On Beasty Boy- the rock eating baby sulcata.
Thanks for the many replies and well wishers out there. I've taken the advice to get mineral oil into my baby one way or another. He still eats and I've soaked him in warm distilled water 3-4 times a day. He is really loving watermelon. A few days ago, he was in real pain and after several attempts to get mineral oil up his rear end, he pooped a large pebble out. After that, he has been passing out smaller, grid-like stones. He still cries though, and I'm beginning to think that the bladder stone is the real problem with him. The x-rays showed a large stone--really too large for him to pass. Even though he urinates, it's not anywhere like the amounts he use to pass. Now, I'm noticing a new problem--his under shell is beginning to look a little bruised. Some of the lines are pinkish in color which may indicate an infection (I read), but the discoloring of the shell worries me. What could this mean? Does anyone know? I've been avoiding taking him to the vets because I'm afraid that they'll want to do surgery, and I'm not ready to have this baby's shell cut out. I'm trying to have his own system fight out the rocks, but the bladder is another story. Please advise if you know about this. Btw, does anyone know what an eleven month old sulcata should weight? I need to know if he's eating too much or too little. Thanks. Sylvia

Read more: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Sick-baby-sulcata-advice-needed#ixzz262wTJJk2

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
RE: Update on Beasty Boy

Beasty Boy had a bladder stone since the end of August/2012. I first noticed trouble when he would make these cries. After taking him to the vet and having x-rays done, I thought it was because he ate a bunch of small stones and he was impacted. Slowly, with the many advises I received here at the forum, the stones passed out. Since Beasty boy continued to eat, defecate, urinate, and graze, and he wasn't crying anymore, I figured that in time, the bladder stone would break up and he'd pass it like the other stones.

Two months later, he would cry out again and have trouble urinating. Last week, I was noticing that he wouldn't eat, drink, defecate or urinate. This went on for three days and I began to panic. I took him to the only vet who knew a little about tortoises, but he was going on vacation and I only had that day to get another x-rays done before traveling to the Small Animals Hosp. in Gainesville, FL (6 1/2 hours away). The earliest appointment they can make was this Wednesday, but Beasty Boy was becoming lethargic and I felt a sense of urgency...if I didn't hurry, he was going to die on me.

So, I drove with my husband for 6 1/2 hours to get to the emergency room this past Friday. As it turned out, the x-rays showed that the bladder stone had moved into the pelvic area, not allowing any fecal material or urine to pass. He needed emergency surgery.

He was also in extreme pain, and the cries he made were heartbreaking to hear. I left him at the hospital and the doctor said she would start working on him immediately. At 2:30 a.m. I received a call from the doctor who said she had successfully removed most of the stone but there was some hemorrhaging when she preformed the cloacoscopy.

He is still in the hospital for observation because he still continues not to eat or defecate. However, this evening, the doctor called and said that he's showing signs of improvement; he's eating all his food, and he urinated today. Even though he hadn't still defecated (and he's loaded), the doctor is optimistic that he'll be good to go home next Tuesday.

All in all, my baby has survived this! Thanks for all your prayers and well wishes. I will continue to update you after he comes home. Btw, the doctor said that the stone was mainly calcium deposits, and asked how much calcium supplement I was giving him. Also, she asked how much UV lighting he was exposed to. Both of these issues I will address on my next update.

Read more: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-58806-page-2.html#ixzz2BJu4wxJe

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Just reading about the cries he was making breaks my heart! I'm so glad he is improving. Interesting about the calcium....another member here had the same issue with her sullie. I will be removing the cuttle bones for sure now!

Status
Not open for further replies.