My Sulcata is CLOGGED!

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jerrys1world

:(What procedures can be done on a large Sulcata Tortoise if he has eaten something and is clogged? Hes been trying to poop, he refuses to eat!
I took my 4 year old sulcata tortoise to the vet 2 days ago, got some xrays and it shows he is clogged with some bulge( that look like rocks but cant really confirm plus a bolt), we dont know what it is... is there any procedure that can be done through the mouth? they want to do something called an "Etima" (i might have spelled that wrong) but that goes up his rectum and i feel that wont work. if theres any vets out there with answers PLEASE HELP! my tortoise has not eaten in almost 2 weeks!!!

Greg T

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
League City, TX
I don't know what else you can do. If it is truly that blocked, then you probably have to let the vet try anything they can to fix it. He obviously isn't going to live if something isn't done soon. :(

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Think how you feel when you are constipated, and how much relief a laxitive or enema provides. Doesn't your tortoise deserve to be treated for a condition that could grow dire if it's not resolved?

What is the down side of having the vet give your tortoise an enima?

I am assuming the vet has determined that's it's too serious or too late to give Sully a laxitive.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Three points I want to make:

1. Tortoises, like horses and some other herbivores, require a good amount of ambulation(walking and running) to move stuff through their digestive system. This is why if a horse gets a tummy ache (colic) they immediately stick them on a hot walker for an hour. Take advantage of this and another tortoise poop inducer at the same time by giving your tort a warm water soak in a large basin, like a bathtub. Get out a temp probe and get that water 85-90. Check the temp frequently and warm it as necessary as shallow water with a large surface area will cool quickly. Warmer than normal water will encourage more movement. Most torts will want out of the water pretty quickly, and will begin to walk almost immediately. Soak/exercise him for a good hour or so. If it can be dislodged and passed on its own, this will do it.

2. The best chance of dislodging the blockage may be an enema and a large tube feeding of mineral oil or vaseline. Ask your vet about treating the front end too. These procedures are relatively simple and easy and a much better option than surgery, if they will work. Give it a try, it won't hurt your tort and it may solve the problem without surgery.

3. Once you get past this problem, you'll need to address why your tort is eating weird things and try to prevent it. Sometimes they do this in an effort to correct a dietary deficiency. You may need to increase the type, quantity or variety of foods you offer. Tell us your feeding routine and we'll gladly give you some tips. Increasing or modifying your supplement routine may also help, but be careful, you CAN over do it. Try adding a few cuttlebones to the inside and outside enclosures. Some torts just eat weird stuff, no matter what you do. My little Daisy is fond of eating little pebbles. Luckily, so far, these always pass. To prevent this, I give her a good soak and a large full meal before I put her in her outside enclosure. It seems when she's already full, she not as inclined to eat weird stuff.

Good luck to you, and please keep us posted so that we may all learn from your experience.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can try putting some mineral oil down his throat, but I'm pretty sure he'll need surgery.

Could the vet have said "enema?" That means he will put some sort of liquid up through the cloaca (the vent on the tail) hoping to flush and lubricate.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I am not a experienced person as most of the main peeps on this site, but i would think if the mineral oil at home doesnt work then try the enema.

a enema is very common and i highly recommend it if a qualified vet said to try it. Its a very small bullet shaped "pill" and will dissolve inside and will work faster than him digesting any thing. (in adults)

I used to work in a nursing home and those were given out like candy. So its not a foreign practice.

What is your fear? a little bit of discomfort to insert it?

I would be more worried about the effects if you dont act fast enough.

M

Maggie Cummings

You need to take him back to the Vet and do what the Vet says is necessary...

J

Jerrys1world

Sorry I didnt mean to keep you guys waiting, work has been a little long. well bowser my sulcata is still the same. What I forgot to mention is that the vet gave us some kind of medicine some kind of etible lubricant to see if that helped. If that did work the next step would be the Enima. Which we are going to do on Saturday. HOPEFULLY that works! because id hate to do surgery on my little guy.

The reason im not to optimistic about the enima is because the vet thinks the bulge is in his stomach...so in my mind why would you do an enima?, which involves going up the rectum ( how far does an enima go anyways??) how come you cant go through the mouth??? since they believe the problem is in the stomach.

so saturday is the big day. pray for my little guy thank you all for your replies and i will keep you guys posted...please any feed back or suggestions. ( names of other procedures i can question my vet about)

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
If the bulge is in his stomach ask the Vet about a endoscope.He should be able to grab anything(within reason) and pull it back out with the endoscope.I hope all goes well.

J

Jerrys1world

TKCARDANDCOIN said:
If the bulge is in his stomach ask the Vet about a endoscope.He should be able to grab anything(within reason) and pull it back out with the endoscope.I hope all goes well.

Endoscope...hmmm I WILL mention it to him! thank you!!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Any news on your sully? :cool:

Has he pooped? Did the enema work?

Please keep us updated. :)

M

Maggie Cummings

Jerrys1world said:
TKCARDANDCOIN said:

Endoscope...hmmm I WILL mention it to him! thank you!!

I had an endoscopy and it's not all that bad and I don't think it will damage the tortoise. It's pronounced...en dos copee...Please keep us posted we are all interested in your tortoise...

J

Jerrys1world

Happy to inform that after a month later my Sulcata is FINALLY starting to poop and pee again.... he poops and pees A LOT! every time I soak him ( and i dont blame him, imagine holding it in for a month!) hes finally eating as well.

I took "Roachman26 " (by the way thank you very much) Advice i walked him everyday, Soaked him every day, and gave him water from time to time ... sure enough after 4 weeks from his enema im happy to say hes pooping!!! me and my sulcata dodged surgery.

you are all probably wondering what he ate, he ate little white pepples ( rocks) he must of confused it with his turtle bone, and a bolt along with the washer....

yes hes going to be under more supervision when hes outside...we got rid of the white tiny rocks we use for decoration in our garden.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
sulc. will eat just about anything.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Jerrys1world said:
...he ate little white pepples ( rocks) he must of confused it with his turtle bone, and a bolt along with the washer....

I sure hope you took some photos of this to "document" your claim and provide all of us with a poop fix...:D

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Glad to hear the rocks are no longer a danger and his system is working again. A month is a long time! In the wild torts commonly eat white pebbles and such as they know they have minerals.

Status
Not open for further replies.