Blackfish the documentary on Sea World tonight at 6 and 9

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
Just FYI. CNN is showing the wonderful documentary "Blackfish" tonight at 6:00 and 9:00 p.m. This is the truth about Orca's in captivity. There are former Sea World trainers who speak the truth about this industry. :) Please let me know what you think if you watch it.

http://blackfishmovie.com/

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Watching.
Thanks!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I wanna watch. But i don't have tv...maybe they have an internet channel? Time to google around..thx for the heads up

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Watching it now and have lost respect for Sea World. It's a shame what people will do for money.:(

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I found it online :) watched some but I have to put the kiddos to bed now. I want to watch it in it's entirely eventually. I knew some of this stuff already and am glad others will finally know, too.
The media spins a lot of stories. Not just whale attacks. Keep that in mind next time you watch the news.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I knew about this problem for years. SeaWorld deserves all the negative publicity or gets. It's animal abuse any way you look at it. You can spin it like Shamu, but in the end, the animals were taught to kill out of desperation. Shame on SeaWorld!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The bad thing is its a double edge sword. In some respect they and zoos are good. In other respects they are bad. If they would take the greed for money out of it and put more care into the animals well being, it would work for the animals and I believe the humans much better. I think most have known about a lot of this stuff. Seeing it put all together in one program, that's when it really hits of how many times things have gone bad. Also have to remember the trainers are ex trainers. They got to do what they wanted and only now it's something they are stepping up against.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
So what happens when someone makes "Blacktort" and exposes all the wrongs being done every day in the Tortoise world?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have not seen this, but I've been told by people who have that it is the typical animal rightist drivel and lies that we should all be accustomed too.

It's infuriating. It is these people's full time job to slander and lie about whoever it is they don't like this week. The people who would oppose them are busy actually doing real work and earning a living. It is a disgusting product of our current society. It's a shame that some people can't seem to see both sides of a story.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Re: RE: Blackfish the documentary on Sea World tonight at 6 and 9

EricIvins said:
So what happens when someone makes "Blacktort" and exposes all the wrongs being done every day in the Tortoise world?

Blacktort.... lol
I own horses and have been in so many "animal exploitation" arguments. How far is too far? What is acceptable when we require an animal to serve us? And equines certainly run the gambit.
But I must say that animals are often on the losing side of things when profit is involved. Especially when business administrators are not directly involved with the animals. The more the profit the worse it gets.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I see both sides of the issue; however, when it comes to what's truly best for the people (trainers) and the animals they train, I side with "life" over profit any day. If that means doing away with orca shows at SeaWorld, and freeing the captive animals, so be it. These tremendous creatures shouldn't be keep in these small modules. Who here wouldn't chastise someone who would keep a 50 pound Sulcata in a 4'x4' enclosure? Who here would advocate that large tortoises should have access to a large backyard? Who here wouldn't take our tortoise to a vet if they knew they were sick? Then one can ask, "Is it better to give my tort to someone who could give him what he needs than to keep him in a small tank with no resources to make his life better?

On the other side, if they animals are truly loved, as the management of SeaWorld claim, and the conservation efforts are at the heart of these captivities, then SeaWorld has a responsibility to enlarge the enclosures of these animals. If, after 40+ years of observation, SeaWorld discovers that Orcas are a social species, that these animals have a lifetime bond with their calf's, that life is significantly shortened in captivity, then it's the responsibility of these owners to practice good husbandry. We expect owners of any animal to learn to practice good husbandry. And I certainly hold SeaWorld to the same standards for captivity.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
"It was gruesome as they closed the net. You could hear the whales screaming," Munro recalls. "Goldsberry kept dropping explosives to drive the whales back into the net."

When I was little I loved to watch the big whales doing the awesome tricks...I mean, Wow! They must really love to jump and love the swim fast and thought "when I am older I am going to learn to do what I needed to so I could swim with them ---they love to swim with those people"...and year after year, my Mom and I would go to Sea World in San Diego...then there was some years as I became a little older--we started to do Magic Mountain and such--we did not go to Sea World for a good number of years....I then had my beautiful son and I thought--how cool is this, I can do the same thing with my son as my Mom did with me...he will love it.

So, we go and I sit there in the middle of the loud cheering crowd of people...and all I can notice is the size of the whales and the undersized body of water they are in...and then looked at the fact that they don't get to swim off into a larger area when their performance is over...they are in this small area --always, day in and day out---forever...between the crowds moving in and out between shows hustling off to the next show...and here these powerful creatures float---no break for them, but just idle time--idle time to do nothing but waste away....I sat there with my son and I cried quietly to myself behind the dark of my sunglasses....this was the moment, as a Mother---as a being that now loves someone more than I ever could have imagined...a Mother who would without a second of time, would give my life in exchange for my son to live on---and thought, these magnificent creatures will die here. I then was disgusted with myself for ever offering up a penny towards this...I did not get up, I did not share this sadness with my son. For you see, I did not want to force my feelings on him...so he enjoyed the show..as I did, and I am sure many did, he would share with me how he wanted to be a trainer when he got big so he could swim with the whales....

Then a couple of years ago, we discussed when we use to go to Sea World and he smiled and asked if we could go again (mind you, it had been awhile since we had gone)...so I reluctantly agreed...we went and when we got there I assumed he would want to see the Shamu show so I looked at the schedule and began to read off the show times....this beautiful young man says to me...Mom, we can go and look at the fish and other exhibits but can we not go to Shamu? Will it make you sad if we don't go?....I stopped myself from yelling hell yeah we can skip it...and said "sure, we can skip the shamu show, but why ?" He quietly says, "it is sad to see them in the little fish bowls Mom, they must be so sad---it is not right"....enough said.

I have let our last membership expire and I will no longer support this behavior with not even one penny. I know some folks will say that the few are sacrificed for the public to have knowledge and a way to feel a direct interest with a creature we would otherwise never encounter---to this my response is, not everything is ours to own...and some things should be part of a once in a lifetime story---if ever...we have no right to "own" everything....and say it is due to we are the top of the chain....it is our right....we are but only one of the creatures in a long line....just because we can, does not mean we should.

Thank you for this thread....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is a point that seems to be getting completely missed here. This is not about animals. It's about politics, money and manipulation.

Does anyone doubt that if I had the time, money and inclination, I could make a film to make you "feel" the exact opposite about this issue. I don't have that time or money, or an agenda to push, and I'm not trying to separate people with good intentions from their money so I can use it to force my own ideology on the world through the rule of law, so MY film will never be made.

This is just like any other politicking you see on TV. They want your vote and your financial support. They want to pass more laws restricting what all of us can and can't do. They will lie cheat and steal to get to further their goals. They try to appeal to your emotions to motivate you into action and get you to open your pocketbook so they can make MORE films like this. Not too far down the road, you will start seeing films like this about exotic pets, and how horrible they have it, and why we should all be banned from having them.

The noose it tightening. Lets not help them.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
No Tom...I think that you are missing the point. It IS about the animal. Don't you have any empathy for these magnificent creatures? I have been to Sea World and I have seen these shows. Yes, it was a thrill; however, it is a thrill that I can live without, knowing how these animals suffer in captivity. I have also seen a Beluga whale here in Coney Island... swimming in circles in a human size pool...how depressing. I will never go to or support this type of treatment to any profit driven enterprise that treats captive animals this way. These animals belong in the ocean. Sea World can not provide the ocean... As a society we need to evolve, it has nothing to do with politics. You can put any spin on this that you want. Enough said...

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Long Island, New York
I watch a little but up until the sea captain started telling his experience of capturing the baby orcas. I couldn't keep watching it was to sad. I feel so bad for the orcas it's a disgrace what sea world has done. :(

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I did not see the film, dont really need to. The free clip says it all. The producers have an agenda, using the whales as much as the seaworld people.

In short open plains/migrating animals do not "work out" in captivity.

No matter if it is an albatross, pelagic fish, migrating hoofstock, or open water large marine mammals, none of these animals do well in captivity.

But the emoting delivered by shows like this, IMO, is worse than keeping the whale in the tank. They are screwing with you through your heart.

When one human exploits another through their heart, they are bad, their rational argument is weak.

I am pretty sure a leopard gecko does not miss the Pakistani desert, nor a goldfish missing open water. I'm also pretty sure that even the WC pancakes I have, are OK with their current setup.

Some types of animals based on how they make their living are OK in captivity, some are not.

You sure don't need scientists to sort this out, ascott's kid did based on simple direct observation. Its not an all this or that proposition.

I have worked in a few different animals in captivity industries. Its OK, to have some animals in captivity, not others.

Large ocean going animals with complex social lives are not OK, in captivity, butterfly fish are OK. The animals communicate this divide just fine.

But hype TV, well, I think those folks need a small free rent room, with narrow vertical windows. Marketing people who run live animal exhibitions, zoos and aquaria, who have never worn fecel smelling shoes, ought to be right next door.

An unprofessional joke among zoo people had been, "the two most dangerous people in a zoo are architects and veterinarians". That was before the "Disney" affect (yes Affect, not Effect) , now both those mindsets have been replaced by the wild animal experience marketers.

If you want to see whales, go on a boat into the ocean, not sit on your bottom and watch them do stupid human tricks. The boat is also less expensive.

Just my five cents worth. Two cents doesn't support an opinion anymore.

Will

EricIvins

5 Year Member
CLMoss said:
No Tom...I think that you are missing the point. It IS about the animal. Don't you have any empathy for these magnificent creatures? I have been to Sea World and I have seen these shows. Yes, it was a thrill; however, it is a thrill that I can live without, knowing how these animals suffer in captivity. I have also seen a Beluga whale here in Coney Island... swimming in circles in a human size pool...how depressing. I will never go to or support this type of treatment to any profit driven enterprise that treats captive animals this way. These animals belong in the ocean. Sea World can not provide the ocean... As a society we need to evolve, it has nothing to do with politics. You can put any spin on this that you want. Enough said...

If it IS about the animal, I would implore you to return your Tortoises to the wild. After all, both you and I can live without them....Enough said?

Funny thing is, the Pet Trade, Conservation, and AR propaganda are all PROFIT DRIVEN enterprises.....One is no worse than the other....

redfootHbadger

5 Year Member
What about all the animals sea world saves, rehabilitates and send back to the wild?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just a friendly reminder. This is a heated subject. Do not get into name calling or trashing each other. Keep on track and let everyone voice their opinions without being made to feel bad, wrong or any other way.
Thank you.