Biting Rabbit troubles

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My wife has a new rabbit. (Jack)
He is a small short haired young adult, but not a dwarf.
He has a cage with the best of foods snacks and bedding and the cage is very large. About 22"x12"x12".
He also spends some time outdoors every day in an even larger old enclosed tortoise pen. He seems happy and is healthy, but every now and again, he will lunge forward and bite whomever is nearby. usually my wife and usually her shirt only. The other 99.9% of the time, he seems content.
Any ideas what is going on?

Attachments

• 20160403_101053.jpg
    20160403_101053.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 28

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
My wife has a new rabbit. (Jack)
He is a small short haired young adult, but not a dwarf.
He has a cage with the best of foods snacks and bedding and the cage is very large. About 22"x12"x12".
He also spends some time outdoors every day in an even larger old enclosed tortoise pen. He seems happy and is healthy, but every now and again, he will lunge forward and bite whomever is nearby. usually my wife and usually her shirt only. The other 99.9% of the time, he seems content.
Any ideas what is going on?
Huh. Same problem with ours, and ours is also a male. He as only ever bit me though.
We will see what is said. ;).

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Her rabbit has never bitten me.
Personally (and I may be way off) I think mine needs a play mate. He tries to play with the cats but they don't want to know, he's constantly humping his ball and lately he's kicking the floor a lot. I always thought rabbits are not solitary animals.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
He does play with Suki. The dog. But Suki always gets carried away and wants to play too rough.
The rabbit does do some strange, sudden movements that are lunges and flips. It's all very, very fast.
He and Suki fly through the house like little bolts of lightning.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
My friend runs a rabbit & guinea pig rescue. She is very clear that both should not be kept singly. They're social and need a friend. (Rabbits need a rabbit and GPs need a GP - don't mix species)

She frequently rehomes animals to people whose rabbit or GP has been bereaved. Is there a rescue near you that could help out?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
My friend runs a rabbit & guinea pig rescue. She is very clear that both should not be kept singly. They're social and need a friend. (Rabbits need a rabbit and GPs need a GP - don't mix species)

She frequently rehomes animals to people whose rabbit or GP has been bereaved. Is there a rescue near you that could help out?
No kidding?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
@ZEROPILOT I have consulted my friend.

On biting:
Lunging and biting suggest an un- neutered buck. Boys can be done as soon as their plums drop usually around 12 weeks. Post neuter he needs 6 weeks before being introduced to a spayed female or they will have babies!

On bonding
80% of does die from uterine cancer if they are not spayed and it's almost impossible to bond an unspayed doe - he thinks he's got issues with his boy, try an entire girl!!

On accommodation:
Outdoor hutch space minimum size is 6ft x 2ft x 2ft high ideally with a permanently attached run at least 6ft x 4ft.

Indoors cage at least 5ft long ideally with permanent access to some space indoors - could pop puppy pen panels around the cage or some people, if they are lucky enough to have something like a conservatory or spare bedroom, make that the bunny room with the cage only really visited to be used as a litter tray. Buns are most active at dawn and dusk.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I lost half the accommodation post

Indoors cage at least 5ft long with permanent access to some space indoors - could pop puppy pen panels around the cage or some people, if they are lucky enough to have something like a conservatory or spare bedroom, make that the bunny room with the cage only really visited to be used as a litter tray. Buns are most active at dawn and dusk.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
I have never had a rabbit but i contemplate it sometimes, and have read up on it. The most credible info i have found says that rabbits should be kept in "bonded pairs" of 1 male and 1 female, both neutered. And the choice of partner can be experimented with until compatibility manifests.
And they should be about the same age because often the survivor will be forever depressed if one dies, as they form a tight bond.
Also i read that many rabbit rescue places know all about this and are likely to have bonded pairs all ready to go.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Could it be because hes still new? I petsat for my neighbor who had a rabbit and he would jump out and bite me occasionally -_- while i would come in to refill his food.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield

Do they have to be the same breed of rabbit.
Oh. My.
He needs to get snipped.
Maybe that's why he doesn't bite ME. For sympathy.
You can rule that theory out. ;)

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
My friends old rabbit didn't bite humans but nibbled through all your clothes if you were holding it. I have no idea why o_O

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
More info on finding a friend for your rabbit

Best pairing is a neutered male and neutered female, size/breed doesn't matter in the bunny world just two that love each other!

They would be best to find a reputable rescue /humane society who will help with bonding - if you don't know what you're doing it can be tricky and frightening if it goes wrong.

If they bring a doe into their home, first thing they'll need to do is get her spayed if she's not already done (usually around 6 months of age) and,if unspayed, kept well away from current bun.

They will also need a neutral bonding space which neither bun has been in before.

There are lots of youtube clips on bonding but you really do need to do your homework which is why going down the rescue route is best - if it goes wrong you'll end up at best with 2 separate set ups and at worse a very large vet bill!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
What is it with this app? Here's the other half of my most recent post.

They will also need a neutral bonding space which neither bun has been in before. There are lots of youtube clips on bonding, but you really do need to do your homework which is why going down the rescue route is best - if it goes wrong you'll end up at best with 2 separate set ups and at worse a very large vet bill!