Rabbit cage??

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Bottom of the page. Listen, I think you are right, they do need a slightly raised enclosure to keep in the heat, but to make people feel bad about their enclosure when everything is right for the tortoise is a shame. I’ve asked to delete my account because of this post because I don’t want to be seen as the bad guy. But it just shows the tortoise protection group is recommended these types of enclosures over vivs. Please try to be nice to people because otherwise it takes away the pleasure from tortoise keeping. Before I got Olive I already planned to add sheets to the sides a bit to add extra heat (but not completely closed) against my tortoise breeder recommended because I also believe her info was out of date. Thank you Tom, once again you have been very helpful x
I am very sorry if I or we upset you. It certainly wasn’t intended. Like everyone here I try to help people do what’s best for their tortoise. Sometimes the typed word is not read in the way it was intended and for that I am sorry.

O

Olive_Hermann

I am very sorry if I or we upset you. It certainly wasn’t intended. Like everyone here I try to help people do what’s best for their tortoise. Sometimes the typed word is not read in the way it was intended and for that I am sorry.

Thanks JoeMums but you did say “I do not agree with this type of enclosure” how is that to be intended lol. I really like my enclosure and it works for us and Olive is doing well in it. I understand you want to help tortoises’ and want the best for them and I understand this but I really have done my research and this does suit us and Olive, don’t get me wrong this type of enclosure all year round, for years on end is not suitable. But I do understand your point. Thanks anyway.

Megang97

Portsmouth, uk
Bottom of the page. Listen, I think you are right, they do need a slightly raised enclosure to keep in the heat, but to make people feel bad about their enclosure when everything is right for the tortoise is a shame. I’ve asked to delete my account because of this post because I don’t want to be seen as the bad guy. But it just shows the tortoise protection group is recommended these types of enclosures over vivs. Please try to be nice to people because otherwise it takes away the pleasure from tortoise keeping. Before I got Olive I already planned to add sheets to the sides a bit to add extra heat (but not completely closed) against my tortoise breeder recommended because I also believe her info was out of date. Thank you Tom, once again you have been very helpful x

At the end of the day your first tort is overwhelming and I feel like you can never do enough research to prepare! As far as I’m concerned, as long as the tort has the right heat, humidity, substrate, food, etc. And had been checked by the vets like mine, it’s fine, it doesn’t matter on the home as long as these standards are met. Everyone is going to have opposing opinions, that’s why it’s an opinion. Rabbit cage, tortoise table, viv are all different and need to be adjusted to be correct - something open may be harder to get correct but it’s not to say it’s bad, as long as it’s monitored. It’s personal to you.

especially if it’s your first tort, you’re going to listen to the breeder more than anyone! If a rabbit cage works for you and your tort is happy and healthy, then fine - that’s the main thing☺️

Tom as been extremely helpful and I completely appreciate all the advice he has offered - I’m sure he has a wealth of knowledge on tortoises. Vivs work for him and a rabbit cage may work for you. I’m just trying to find the correct thing for my little one or adjust the home he has!

please don’t feel bad about listening to advice from your breeder, it’s not to say they’re wrong, it’s probably what works for them and just different to what other people do! As long as your tort is healthy. You do you!☺️

O

Olive_Hermann

At the end of the day your first tort is overwhelming and I feel like you can never do enough research to prepare! As far as I’m concerned, as long as the tort has the right heat, humidity, substrate, food, etc. And had been checked by the vets like mine, it’s fine, it doesn’t matter on the home as long as these standards are met. Everyone is going to have opposing opinions, that’s why it’s an opinion. Rabbit cage, tortoise table, viv are all different and need to be adjusted to be correct - something open may be harder to get correct but it’s not to say it’s bad, as long as it’s monitored. It’s personal to you.

especially if it’s your first tort, you’re going to listen to the breeder more than anyone! If a rabbit cage works for you and your tort is happy and healthy, then fine - that’s the main thing☺️

Tom as been extremely helpful and I completely appreciate all the advice he has offered - I’m sure he has a wealth of knowledge on tortoises. Vivs work for him and a rabbit cage may work for you. I’m just trying to find the correct thing for my little one or adjust the home he has!

please don’t feel bad about listening to advice from your breeder, it’s not to say they’re wrong, it’s probably what works for them and just different to what other people do! As long as your tort is healthy. You do you!☺️
—————————————————
Just to clarify, I did do enough research. The housing is perfect, the lighting is perfect, food is just about perfect until I start growing my own flowers/outside set up and I am not overwhelmed! This is not my first tortoise!
In your situation you have the enclosure already and a few adjustments will make it fine so another layout is not necessary atm.
Everything my tortoise breeder had said I have not done based on my own research/help from Tom and Yossarian. She has been breeding Tortoise’s for 40 years and is very successful but her way didn’t work for me and at the end of the day we know when our tortoise is happy.
Just to add, I have Hive heating and thermostats on rads which are set to 22.5c all day and drop of evening. I haven’t got anything else to add to this, so this is my last post on this subject.

Megang97

Portsmouth, uk

Sorry, I didn’t realise, I didn’t mean to come across as condescending! I’m not doubting your torts home isn’t perfect, I’m sure it is and he’s perfectly happy and healthy ☺️ Likewise with “not doing enough research”, I’m sure you did!! Just not always research alone can prepare someone - I must admit I’ve learnt a lot more since picking up my little one than before I got him (and I’ve done years of research prior to picking him up). I’m sorry if that came across wrong.