Best species for the pacific northwest?

Pourkinator

Location (City and/or State)
Washington State
Hello all. I'm currently looking into getting a tortoise. I grew up in Palm Springs and had a rescued Desert tortoise (legally) and it was such an awesome experience, which I would now like my niece to experience. That said, I'm unsure what species may do well here in the PNW. I want a Sulcata, but I also don't want to set the poor thing up for failure. We have a large, fully fenced (not chain link) grassy yard, and plenty of room in the house/garage for a winnter enclosure. Thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello all. I'm currently looking into getting a tortoise. I grew up in Palm Springs and had a rescued Desert tortoise (legally) and it was such an awesome experience, which I would now like my niece to experience. That said, I'm unsure what species may do well here in the PNW. I want a Sulcata, but I also don't want to set the poor thing up for failure. We have a large, fully fenced (not chain link) grassy yard, and plenty of room in the house/garage for a winnter enclosure. Thank you.
Whatever you get will have to spend the majority of each year indoors. There is no garage large enough to house a sulcata several months of every year, and to keep it at 80-90 degrees is just not practical.

A tropical species will need a large closed chamber, and many of these get too large, so you should focus on smaller species like a male Burmese star, Indian star, or a pancake tortoise.

Russians, Hermanns, and greeks would all be good because you can brumate them during your winters, and as long as you have a large enclosure indoors for inclement weather, they can live outside during fair weather.

Pourkinator

Washington State
Whatever you get will have to spend the majority of each year indoors. There is no garage large enough to house a sulcata several months of every year, and to keep it at 80-90 degrees is just not practical.

A tropical species will need a large closed chamber, and many of these get too large, so you should focus on smaller species like a male Burmese star, Indian star, or a pancake tortoise.

Russians, Hermanns, and greeks would all be good because you can brumate them during your winters, and as long as you have a large enclosure indoors for inclement weather, they can live outside during fair weather.
Thank you. Will look into those species.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Keeping a tortoise in the PNW has it's challenges but it is still very do-able with the right commitment.

Like said above, I would never choose to keep a sulcata in this climate. I have a leopard and that's about as big as I would go.

Stars are beautiful! Look into them for sure. :)
The pancake is a neat one and I'm partial to Egyptian Tortoises. Check them out, too

Pourkinator

Washington State
Keeping a tortoise in the PNW has it's challenges but it is still very do-able with the right commitment.

Like said above, I would never choose to keep a sulcata in this climate. I have a leopard and that's about as big as I would go.

Stars are beautiful! Look into them for sure. :)
The pancake is a neat one and I'm partial to Egyptian Tortoises. Check them out, too
Out of curiosity, how difficult is keeping a Leopard in the PNW?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hi...I am not an expert by any means...and I would never have chosen to keep Sulcata in the PNW...that said...I moved to Corvallis Oregon from the late great state of California 17 years ago and it has been a ride ever since...but people in Oregon stared leaving sick injured or merely Sulcata on my doorstep.
I have a 20'x12' heated and insulated tort shed, right now it's housing a 40 pound female Sulcata. Every morning I go out and open her doggie door...she studies the weather and decides to go out or not...I had Bob, a 100 pound Sulcata who wanted out everyday...Mary is too dainty, and she doesn't care for the snow or rain...so she sits in the doorway for a couple of hours before she makes a decision.100_6306.JPG
Knowing what I know now, I would not recommend a big tortoise, but I am set up for it, and I work very hard at it. Spring and summer she eats what I grow...winter, well you know. Inside the shed the floor is divided 1/4 for a long term rescue...and Mary Knobbins...this heater keeps the shed 85 degrees all winter. Every tort in the shed has a basking light hanging down and a CHE on 24/7 winter. There is an overhead light for me...a tort table with a Russian and another Russian under the table. Half of that shed was devoted to 2 Russians and that was really not enuf. They are a very busy species and they are active...they really should have more room than the Sulcata.
but I'm rambling...yes I keep them here, no my electric bill is not high average...$150. I have had Redfoots here and them too, with a little extra work...a humid warm area with plants and hides and stuff to occupy a busy brain...
Mary K is being stubborn about eating now that that stuff is gone and she should be eating hay and liking it...that ain't happening...lol
I didn't mean to hijack your thread, if you have any questions pm me...

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Every morning I go out and open her doggie door...she studies the weather and decides to go out or not.
sits in the doorway for a couple of hours before she makes a decision.
THIS is exactly like Levi! I HAVE to open Levi's door everyday and he decides if he will go out or not. He too sits in the doorway for a while, deciding LOL

Out of curiosity, how difficult is keeping a Leopard in the PNW?
Well, I'm in Medford, Oregon and our weather is different than yours up in Seattle, Washington. I think you said you were in Seattle?

Like Maggie said, if you are set up for it and work hard at it, you can keep a bigger tort (like a leopard) in the PNW. If you start with a hatchling 1- get it from a proper source. You want someone who starts their babies hydrated. 2- raise it in a closed chamber style enclosure in your home. That will buy you 2, maybe 3 years depending on how large your enclosure is indoors. BUT have future plans sooner than later. My leopard was living outdoors all day but still sleeping indoors at 2 yrs old and full time outside with sleeping outdoors in the heated tortoise house at night before he was 3.

I use a fully insulated, heated on a thermostat with an oil filled radiator, tortoise house outside, and Levi has full access to my backyard. I treat my entire yard like his enclosure. My dog isn't allowed to be "put out" there. All the grass/weeds/plants have to be edible and safe. etc. If I lived further north with more rain and snow, I'd have a much larger tortoise shed like Maggie. But for where I am, for now, the 4x4x2 heated house works well.
20200419_174027.jpg

Pourkinator

Washington State
Hi...I am not an expert by any means...and I would never have chosen to keep Sulcata in the PNW...that said...I moved to Corvallis Oregon from the late great state of California 17 years ago and it has been a ride ever since...but people in Oregon stared leaving sick injured or merely Sulcata on my doorstep.
I have a 20'x12' heated and insulated tort shed, right now it's housing a 40 pound female Sulcata. Every morning I go out and open her doggie door...she studies the weather and decides to go out or not...I had Bob, a 100 pound Sulcata who wanted out everyday...Mary is too dainty, and she doesn't care for the snow or rain...so she sits in the doorway for a couple of hours before she makes a decision.View attachment 351290
Knowing what I know now, I would not recommend a big tortoise, but I am set up for it, and I work very hard at it. Spring and summer she eats what I grow...winter, well you know. Inside the shed the floor is divided 1/4 for a long term rescue...and Mary Knobbins...this heater keeps the shed 85 degrees all winter. Every tort in the shed has a basking light hanging down and a CHE on 24/7 winter. There is an overhead light for me...a tort table with a Russian and another Russian under the table. Half of that shed was devoted to 2 Russians and that was really not enuf. They are a very busy species and they are active...they really should have more room than the Sulcata.
but I'm rambling...yes I keep them here, no my electric bill is not high average...$150. I have had Redfoots here and them too, with a little extra work...a humid warm area with plants and hides and stuff to occupy a busy brain...
Mary K is being stubborn about eating now that that stuff is gone and she should be eating hay and liking it...that ain't happening...lol
I didn't mean to hijack your thread, if you have any questions pm me...
Thank you. Yeah, a large species probably isn't best for me, at least unless I ever move south again. I'll stick with a smaller species. The Indian Stars really are beautiful, as are the Pnacakes.