Best tortoise species for personality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chelonologist

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, California
Hey all,

I'm taking a break from studying to pose a question I've been pondering. I'm wondering what everyone's favorite tortoise species is for personality. My top three are:

Desert tortoise
Hermann's tortoise
Bell's hingeback tortoise

These guys make me smile on a daily basis because of their awesome personalities. Does anyone know of other species that we could add to the list?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh good lord. This should have gone in the debatable section.

Anyone whose ever been around a sulcata will tell you they have the best personality by far. Unless you like shy, timid, fearful torts. Now I'm finding the the pardalis pardalis subspecies of the leopard tortoise is very similar.

Russians would be a close second or third. Those things ain't afraid of nothin'.

I guess everyone has a different idea of what the "best" personality is. I like them bold, boisterous and curious. Unafraid, active and outgoing. My three above certainly fit those characteristics.

tortoiseluvr

5 Year Member
I would definitely agree that sulcatas have one of the best personalities because my experience has been they are never shy and enjoy a nice head rub. I personally think pancake tortoises are also amazing in there own way. Although I don't see them much besides feeding time they are still very sweet and interesting. Most people think they are very shy which is true, but not when they are out of their hiding spots and comfortable with you.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Sulcata, hands down!

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
top three (in order)
Sulcatas because Love to be touched and rubbed down
Redfoots because they are true clowns
Russians as Tom stated, afraid of nothing! Evel Kneivels of the tortoise world!

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
1. Galaps
2. Russians & Sulcatas
3. Redfoots, Radiateds, & Burmese Stars.

The drawback about Russians & Sulcatas is that they dig and can spend a lot of time in their burrows depending on where you live/conditions.

I hear captive desert tortoises are personable, but I have only observed desert tortoises in the wild

S

swager

Az tortoise compound said:
top three (in order)
Sulcatas because Love to be touched and rubbed down
Redfoots because they are true clowns
Russians as Tom stated, afraid of nothing! Evel Kneivels of the tortoise world!

really nice all three,..thanks for sharing,..

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
I think all Torts are great i have a Hermanns and yer she can be nervous but she is just starting to be more trusting with me she will eat out of my hand and let me stroke her head after a few mins with her head pull back she will relax and fetch it out she will sit an watch me and likes to make mischief too

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
1) Eastern Hermann's (by a considerable margic :))
2) Sulcata (with Iberians a very close runner up).
3) Russian (with Redfoots a very close runner up).

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The three with the most, in my own personal experience are:

1. Sulcata
2. Erosa hingebacks
3. Desert tortoise (but this is only based on one, so it's not quite as solid as the other two choices).
or based on several
3. Bells hingebacks

Alx910

5 Year Member
I would have to say Russians too. They are super curious and all of ours love climbing . They will climb over anything and just drop off on the other side whether it's high or not . The one male always exaggerates. He'll be climbing over a 1" piece of driftwood but stick his head out so far it looks like it's going to fall off. haha

Attachments

• Vasilli climbing.JPG
    Vasilli climbing.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 129

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Since I only have one species, a Cherry Head, I have nothing to compare him with. He has a great personality, curious...to the point of being nosey....unafraid, but cautious. I always thought he was looking for food, when he followed me around the yard, but if I sit down to rest or sit reading a book, he will come and sit right by my foot and lean on it. But, if you really want personality.....there's nothing like a herd of boxie's to make you laugh out loud.....

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
which other species of tortoise can stop doing whatever it is doing (eating, walking, sleeping...etc) and without any hesitation stand up nice and straight as high as it can, and extend the neck out, and allow you rub it and pet it for hours!!!

not to mention they love to eat out of your hand. they NEVER poop in their sleeping area. they ALWAYS know when to go in the warm box or cool muddy watering hole depending on the weather.

my all time personal favorite and will never change...

THE ALL MIGHTY GALAPAGOS TORTOISE!!!!!!

tobibaby

5 Year Member
SoCal
Tom said:

Anyone whose ever been around a sulcata will tell you they have the best personality by far. Unless you like shy, timid, fearful torts. Now I'm finding the the pardalis pardalis subspecies of the leopard tortoise is very similar.

Russians would be a close second or third. Those things ain't afraid of nothin'.

I guess everyone has a different idea of what the "best" personality is. I like them bold, boisterous and curious. Unafraid, active and outgoing. My three above certainly fit those characteristics.

Hi Tom,

was wondering when do they become friendly cuz my 2 months old sulcata is scared sometimes and sometimes super friendly where he lets me pet his little head ( that i want to bite cuz its soooooo cute), am i freakin him out by wanting to play with him, maybe a little too much lol, but he is so cute and he is so loved..

Badgemash

5 Year Member
Just wondering what people would have to say about Aldabrans and this topic?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Since I raised my two male Aldabrans without human attention, they really don't have much of a personality. But the past month or so I've been giving them a piece of fruit by hand in order to get some extra calcium into them, and they are now starting to look to me for treats. But they still don't have much of a personality. I'm sorry about that, because the Galops at the zoo are wonderful, people-oriented tortoises, raising up high and stretching out their necks to be rubbed, following you around for attention. I could have encouraged that too, but I messed up.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
tobibaby said:
Tom said:

Hi Tom,

was wondering when do they become friendly cuz my 2 months old sulcata is scared sometimes and sometimes super friendly where he lets me pet his little head ( that i want to bite cuz its soooooo cute), am i freakin him out by wanting to play with him, maybe a little too much lol, but he is so cute and he is so loved..

I'll PM you. Don't want to hijack the thread.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
emysemys said:
Since I raised my two male Aldabrans without human attention, they really don't have much of a personality. But the past month or so I've been giving them a piece of fruit by hand in order to get some extra calcium into them, and they are now starting to look to me for treats. But they still don't have much of a personality. I'm sorry about that, because the Galops at the zoo are wonderful, people-oriented tortoises, raising up high and stretching out their necks to be rubbed, following you around for attention. I could have encouraged that too, but I messed up.

It's not too late to make "pets" out of 'em, I shouldn't think...I've had w/c adult tortoises learn to come to me for throat rubs and treats, so your's likely would, as well...just a matter of time. :cool:

moswen

5 Year Member
well, for my own personal experience, tula (my greek) has the best personality so far! but i guess that may be because she gets at least 3 hours of hands-on social interaction every day from my daughter... i don't let her play with the babies yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.