Best for us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
The pond project is slowly but surely moving along. We are hoping to be done by spring! What would be the best breed of turtle to have? We will have an enclosed area with basking spots, ramp for pond access and lots of leaf litter/burrowing available, .

Agh, phones! I wasn't done :)

We live in southern Oregon, so we have rainy cold winters with hot dry summers. I already have my torts inside for winters, I'd like to get turtles that can handle being outside year round.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amish Country
I would start researching all of the native turtles that could thrive in your climate, and I think the answer would be most. How big is this pond? I would like to do a project like that, myself.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
17 thousand gallons...we got tired of shovels and hired an excavator!

I'm familiar with what's native, but curious about real hands on experiences.

adamlikesbananas

5 Year Member
Southern painted turtle are really good with the cold because they basically dig a hole and freeze solid when it gets too cold then they thaw out during summer.
And if your willing to take them in for the winter then I think some box turtles would work if you have a lot of land for them to walk and dig on. Does your turtle area have some places with land or is it all water? And by "land" i mean more than just basking spots, because boxies like land too, if your planning on getting a box turtle that is.

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
adamlikesbananas said:
Southern painted turtle are really good with the cold because they basically dig a hole and freeze solid when it gets too cold then they thaw out during summer.
And if your willing to take them in for the winter then I think some box turtles would work if you have a lot of land for them to walk and dig on. Does your turtle area have some places with land or is it all water? And by "land" i mean more than just basking spots, because boxies like land too, if your planning on getting a box turtle that is.

I think western painteds would do better than southerns.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Softshells are a favorite of mine. Painted turtles are always nice plus they're baskers. We have midland painted in northern ohio. I like the size. What are the dimensions? Hav you posted pics?

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
Gerards said:
adamlikesbananas said:

I think western painteds would do better than southerns.

Westerns, Midlands, or Easterns will ALL do much better than Southerns.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Almost any painted tuetle. Southern stretch as high as il so it can handle or weather

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Why does everyone keep suggesting Chrysemys dorsalis? There are tons of awesome cold tolerant species that could thrive in that environment, like your native Actinemys marmotata. I would look at Clemmys guttata, Emydoidea blandingii, Emys orbicularis, Mauremys caspica, Graptemys geographica, and Chrysemys picta picta, marginata and belli.

I would start with those and compare their living habits with the dimensions of your pond, like depth and slope. All of the species I've mentioned are beautiful, to me anyways, as well as being cold tolerant and beautiful. You'd never need to bring these inside during an Oregon winter like you'd have to with Chrysemys dorsal is.

Good luck, and just so you know, I'm jealous!

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
Anthony P said:
Why does everyone keep suggesting Chrysemys dorsalis? There are tons of awesome cold tolerant species that could thrive in that environment, like your native Actinemys marmotata. I would look at Clemmys guttata, Emydoidea blandingii, Emys orbicularis, Mauremys caspica, Graptemys geographica, and Chrysemys picta picta, marginata and belli.

I would start with those and compare their living habits with the dimensions of your pond, like depth and slope. All of the species I've mentioned are beautiful, to me anyways, as well as being cold tolerant and beautiful. You'd never need to bring these inside during an Oregon winter like you'd have to with Chrysemys dorsal is.

Good luck, and just so you know, I'm jealous!

All great suggestions, Ant. Lots of neat options to pick from.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Love all the info! I did post a pic in the pretend chat threat. It has very steep sides, it was originally for koi. There will be water plants (in baskets) with ground plantings as well.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
pugsandkids said:
Love all the info! I did post a pic in the pretend chat threat. It has very steep sides, it was originally for koi. There will be water plants (in baskets) with ground plantings as well.

Ok good. I'm sure any of the species I mentioned would be fine, but if the sides of the pond are steep, perhaps some species that are more effective swimmers might be great choices.

So for research, I might start with the better swimmers , who are also cold tollerant, Like the Northern Maps, Northern Red Bellied Cooters, Western, Eastern or Midland Painted Turtles. You can also try the other species, if you feel they can find enough areas to crawl out of the water, rather than swimming.

If you feel like they can,then Eastern Mud turtles, Stinkpots, Eastern Spiny Softeshells and Common Snappers can be added to your list as well, since your pond is so big.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Great, thank you for all the info. We have months to research, but that's fun! I don't think we'll be ready, weather wise to add them until May or so :) I will keep y'all in the loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.