Shed/Outdoor set up in colder environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

UrsusArctos

5 Year Member
Hi!

I am brand new to this forum and I was hoping to get your feedback on an outdoor enclosure for our Sulcata.

We live in the cold, rainy Pacific Northwest, in Portland Oregon. Not an ideal spot for this species, we are aware, but we committed to our little guy before our move. Our winters hover at around 40-50 degrees and our summers tend to be around 80s, with some spiked hot days in the 90s and a couple days a year at 100. At this point, our Sulcata Einstein is still very young and lives indoors in a very large turtle table but soon we would like to create an outdoor enclosure.

We have a very large yard, and we were planning on building a greenhouse structure about 15 feet long by 7-8 feet wide. We were planning on building shelves to grow our grasses, and include a dehumidifier (and all necessary heating and lighting equipment) to keep it dry and warm. We also wanted to have a ramp to an underground enclosure (which would be built out of cinder blocks so he couldn't escape) so that he could have additionally room and an underground hiding hole.

We also wanted to create a large door and put heavy plastic over it so that he would have access to our yard. We want to build a wood overhang that goes along the side of the fence, so that he would have about another 10 feet of sheltered outdoor space, which we would equip with heat lamps as well. We would (hopefully?) close the door off at night to protect him, and during the coldest winter months we would close off the entire section (including the additional 10 feet of space).

Our main concern is humidity and respitory issues. With a dehumidifier in his main enclosure, and access to many heated spots, do you think that this would be safe to allow him access to our yard in the colder months? We want him to have as much room to roam as possible but do not want to risk his health.

I would love to hear input on how people who have cold winters or live in cooler environments care for their tortoises. Einstein probably has another year of living indoors (with frequent visits to the outside on warm days) but we are trying to plan ahead.

Thank you

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
Welcome!
Your plans sound wonderful. There are others with Sulcatas in the PNW.
Many of them go outside every day, even in the rain or sometimes the snow! Perhaps for only a few minutes, but they like the option.
The main worry with underground hides in our area is making sure they don't flood. I like the idea of a Greenhouse or Shed (with a window) and an overhang with heat lamps (infared heaters?). They have basking lights and an inside box to burrow in. Perhaps an oil filled radiator for background heat.

It is a challenge in our environment to create a home for tortoises, but it can be done! Fortunately we don't get a lot of weather below freezing (as far as heating costs).

I have Russians, and have a greenhouse that we use for our plants and sprouts, but also the floor belongs to the torts. There are basking lights. The lower 2' of the side walls are wood, with 2" rigid insulation inside. I use tek foil bubble wrap inside the polycarbonate part of the walls on the North and East sides, and Greenhouse bubble wrap on the roof and West and polycarbonate part of the walls.
This worked very well and my oil filled radiator only needed to be on the lower settings at most.

Maggie is an experienced member with a Sulcata known as King Bob. Here is one thread of her set up:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-20710.html

You never know, you may be hanging out in the Greenhouse in the winter, too!

Here is another thread about setting up for a Sulcata in a cooler environment:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-12869.html

UrsusArctos

5 Year Member
Oh great! It's wonderful to hear from another person in the PNW!

Thank you so much for the link and the feedback!

This is a little off topic, but since you live in Washington, do you know if there is a maximum amount of time per day you would allow your tortoise to be in the rain (assuming that its not torrential, freezing rain- just average rain).

Thank you!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Depends on the kind of tortoise or turtle. Box turtles like more moisture.

Basically, I would let the tortoise decide. As long as they have a warm place to retreat to, they are pretty good at knowing how to regulate their temps (once they are familiar with the enclosure). As they get larger (Sulcata), their bulk allows them to retain heat (from their basking light if it is raining), so they may choose to stay out longer. Other Sulcata owners see their tortoises go out when temps are in the 40's, although not for very long.

Can't wait to see your plans develop.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your idea for an enclosure sounds great. I would t mind living in it. Don't forget pics when it's done, even as you build is really nice too. I live in Chicago with a leopard. Will be building a shed for when he is larger and will be working out some of the same type of ideas for the cold winter/snowy months we have here. Mine will not get as big as yours, but will have a large 8x12 winter house.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Greetings fellow PNW'er! I'm just south of you down 213. So I've got a friend in Tacoma, and his Sulcatas have year round access to the yard. They come out in the snow. Not for long but they do it. As far as rain goes, I let them out for limited grazing. I love how offended they act when it rains on them compared to my russians who shrug their shoulders as of to say, “whatever". Keep in mind that here in western Oregon, we have calcium poor soil due to the rains. I supplement the soil with free broadcast limestone flour directly on the grazing area. I've had tortoises up here for on about 30 yrs. and I've gained alittle experience maintaining them and I've many contacts in the area.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Cowboy_Ken said:
Greetings fellow PNW'er! I'm just south of you down 213. So I've got a friend in Tacoma, and his Sulcatas have year round access to the yard. They come out in the snow. Not for long but they do it. As far as rain goes, I let them out for limited grazing. I love how offended they act when it rains on them compared to my russians who shrug their shoulders as of to say, “whatever". Keep in mind that here in western Oregon, we have calcium poor soil due to the rains. I supplement the soil with free broadcast limestone flour directly on the grazing area. I've had tortoises up here for on about 30 yrs. and I've gained alittle experience maintaining them and I've many contacts in the area.

That's great regional advice about boosting the calcium in the soil in our area! Thanks for the reminder. Do you get yours at the feed store?
For the OP's sake, do you have a thread about your Sulcatas' set up, and what is your friend's set up in Tacoma winter/summer?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
No thread made have I. Seems my outdoor enclosures are ever evolving. Currently I'm making a new one that will be 25'x50'-75'.
As for the limestone flour, yes I get it dirt cheep at feed and farm supply stores in the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.