!!beak trim!!! needed how do i do it....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Dakota
so sonne needs a beak trim... im not sure how to go about this.. i tried to just file it but no go he ws pissed at me for trying to hold his head.... i dont have a slate tile for his food yet plan on getting one soon.. he wont touch the cuttlebone.... what do you think? i know it needs to be trimed LOL he looks mad at me :tort: if i get a slate tile with this resolve on its own or is it past that point?

Attachments

• sonne beak.jpg
    sonne beak.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 86
M

Maggie Cummings

I don't think it looks that bad, maybe we need a better picture...

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
maggie3fan said:
I don't think it looks that bad, maybe we need a better picture...
i didnt think it ws that bad either till i could hear it once in a while when he eats grinding ir like catchin on the bottom one? i duno i will get a better pic tonight after his soak :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can just use the corner edge of your nail clippers and clip that front part right off. Don't take too big a bite...you don't have to clip the whole part at one shot. I usually use the corner of the nail clipper and I clip, clip, clip my way around the beak, just taking off a tiny triangle piece with each clip. Then you can either file it smooth or let it wear smooth naturally.

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
emysemys said:
You can just use the corner edge of your nail clippers and clip that front part right off. Don't take too big a bite...you don't have to clip the whole part at one shot. I usually use the corner of the nail clipper and I clip, clip, clip my way around the beak, just taking off a tiny triangle piece with each clip. Then you can either file it smooth or let it wear smooth naturally.

how do you hold the head?!?! im afraid in going to hurt him!! it tried to just file it and i cant hold his head with out freaking him out major! he pooped lol all over me even after a good soak with a healthy one already in the water LOL ... this is going to be interesting i must say :D i do get what you mean by just clip clip clip thanks :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If possible, get someone who has experience at it to help you, at least for the first time.

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
Tom said:
If possible, get someone who has experience at it to help you, at least for the first time.

i dont know any1 with a tort even close to me ... the prev. owner didnt have to trim it? im going to buy a slate tile for him to eat off of and see how that works for now...

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
Sometimes it's best to use a Dremel tool, fitted with a round cutter, similar to this one.

Dremel_114_bit.jpg

When a tortoise pulls it's head inside it's shell, it's head becomes immobilized. So let him pull his head in. Then pry his legs open, which will expose his head, which he will be unable to move. Then carefully dremel the beak edges. The round cutter makes accidents much less likely.
I used this method on a friend's smallish Sulcata and it worked very well.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Are you going to be able to get him outside to graze during the summer? Even if you don't, the slate rock should help enough. Beyond that I wouldn't recommend you trim his beak unless you can take him to a vet or someone with experience. It really doesn't look bad at all from the picture.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
One of my guys had a beak that was growing out like that too. I started feeding them on slate and it wore it back down nicely. You can get a single piece of slate at Home Depot for a couple of bucks. Try that first versus grinding his beak just yet.

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
Greg T said:
One of my guys had a beak that was growing out like that too. I started feeding them on slate and it wore it back down nicely. You can get a single piece of slate at Home Depot for a couple of bucks. Try that first versus grinding his beak just yet.

i live in a small town so no Home Depot or anything but gna go check out the rock quary n sse what they have \.. i dont think that grinding his beak is going to happen LOL i just dont c me doing it when i know providing what he needs will resolve naturally. :) and yes during the summer he will be able to go out side but only when im out with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.