bathing a Russian tort

thetortoiseguy

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1383947122.259663.jpg

I have had experience for one year and a half and I do know that if your tort is not drinking put him / her in a bowl of water and let him soak in for about 5 mins that will keep them hydrated if the water is for mainly drinking perpouse then add cold water if it is for a bath to wash him I advise warm water ,shortly after that put him in a warm heated enclosure so he can dry off and get to a nutral temperature I hope this helps

~Scott thetortoiseguy

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Actually, I would not soak in cold water, it is suppose to be warm. It should also be for 20-30 minutes not 5. He also should be kept warm during the whole time he soaks, not only after the fact. I hope this info actually helps.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
this is informative. but NEVER bath a tortoise in cold water, always warm. they are cold blooded so they always need a heat source. if they get cold and wet, they will get sick. they will definitely still drink the warm water (mine does) and 5 mins is not long enough. minimum of 15 or it's not doing anything but washing off the easy dirt....

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
I agree, never soak a tortoise in cold water. And it is probably best a non-juvenile tortoise be soaked at least once a week, no matter what the circumstances.

thetortoiseguy

5 Year Member
Yes for drinking I prefer cold water but for washing and drinking use warm water so your tortoise will not get sick ImageUploadedByTortForum1383993371.466052.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: