Bath time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Palmdale CA
Ok so every time I give my Russian tortoise a bath he either poops or pee's and then I have to change the water, so my question is... is there anything I can do to make him stop? because he keeps doing doing it and it's getting annoying. (I soak him/Bath him every other day)

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
clare n said:
This is healthy, why would you want it to stop.....

Because it gets tiring changing the water so much but I it's healthy I'll just continue doing what I usually do. (is it ok if he farts too? Because he usually doesn't but he did today)

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
If changing poopy water is the biggest inconvenience in your day you are lucky ;)

yes it's healthy, it's showing you that your tortoise isn't constipated and that he Is taking on water. It encourages them to go, part the reasons for bathing,along with hydration. It also gives you a good chance to have a look (grim, I know...) that everything is as it should be before all the substrate gets stuck and you can't see it. It also means that there's less for you to clear out in his enclosure, so better for you and it means he's not walking about in it. Keep going and rather than think "not again" think "ah good" lol

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
clare n said:
If changing poopy water is the biggest inconvenience in your day you are lucky ;)

yes it's healthy, it's showing you that your tortoise isn't constipated and that he Is taking on water. It encourages them to go, part the reasons for bathing,along with hydration. It also gives you a good chance to have a look (grim, I know...) that everything is as it should be before all the substrate gets stuck and you can't see it. It also means that there's less for you to clear out in his enclosure, so better for you and it means he's not walking about in it. Keep going and rather than think "not again" think "ah good" lol

Ok I will thanks your wisdom is much appreciated! :D

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
Ps lol yes I think the farting is fine. I thought Phillip did it at one point but I also think its where the air collects as you put him in the water, under the shell, as he shifts position it comes up. :)

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
clare n said:
Ps lol yes I think the farting is fine. I thought Phillip did it at one point but I also think its where the air collects as you put him in the water, under the shell, as he shifts position it comes up. :)

Ok that could be it thanks! (also it looks like he is hiccuping but I don't hear anything! Maybe he's just breathing? His head bobs up and down. Thanks!)

Snowqueen75

5 Year Member
They all must bop there heads up and down as my two little ones do that. Bath time is always wee time lol. Mine don't poo in there enclosure either they do it walking around on my carpet or out side which is great as there substrate stays clean for longer. Mine don't like having Bath time but I make sure they have a good soak maybe one day they will get used to it

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
His head bobbing is probably him drinking. Mine used to pee and poop, but now all he ever does is try to climb out I wish he would go back to peeing and pooping

nylesmommy

5 Year Member
north carolina
My nyle does the same thing i figured it was because he was relaxing lol

Oh and i use 2 bath tubs so he can get in clean one while i clean other water so im ready haha before we start his bath :)

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
nylesmommy said:
My nyle does the same thing i figured it was because he was relaxing lol

Oh and i use 2 bath tubs so he can get in clean one while i clean other water so im ready haha before we start his bath :)

Good idea!

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
That is a good plan :) both mine do the head bobbing. They are happy and healthy so let them bob away...

Status
Not open for further replies.