Bath

Macy Fidler

I soak my tortoise daily, and he has his own pool, but he is starting to get a bad smell and I don't know if there's any soap I can use to "give him a bath" with, to get the smell to go away. Any suggestions?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Is the smell coming from your tortoise, or his enclosure?

Its not normal for tortoises to stink. You might have an abscess there or something.

Macy Fidler

Is the smell coming from your tortoise, or his enclosure?

Its not normal for tortoises to stink. You might have an abscess there or something.
Tortoise. It isn't a bad smell, it's just different. I'm not sure how to describe it!!

Tortoisefanatic88

5 Year Member
PA
My tortoise doesn't smell at all. Not even the substrate or anything from his indoor enclosure. Now my water turtles well that's another story

Homeschool Mom

5 Year Member
MN
Smell can be an indicator of shell problems or bacterial infection from what I have read. We are on the upside (I hope) of a battle with shell injury/rot and the only times our tort had any odor was when we were on the downside. If he's bathing daily, and his waterbowl is freshened frequently enough, the smell shouldn't be from any feces. I would inspect the plastron for soft spots or lifting edges of scutes for starters. Scratch gently (no harder than you would on the palm of your own hand) with your fingernail, nothing/nowhere should lift or be loose at all on a healthy shell ... at least in my limited knowledge. There are some pics of torts on here healing from older shell issues that peel/shed some, but it doesn't sound like that's a concern.