Lighting for a russian

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToriTortoiseCute

5 Year Member
Hi, I'm a newbie and i have a 5 month to 1 year old russian. Currently, Tori lives outside in a perfect enclosure withe everything needed. I am building her a pen for the winter months indoors. I need to know what are the best lamps/bulbs to get her, I am on a budget and don't wanna spend too much on bulbs. I've read to have a UVA and UVB lamp, but can i have One bulb UVA and the other UVB? Should i have a basking lamp, or a day lamp? I need basic yet specific advice, thanks!

Blastoise

5 Year Member
I would recommend getting a Powesun Mercury Vapor Bulb, which has UVA, UVB, and heat all in one bulb. Then get the zoo med reptile lamp stand. You also need the Zoo Med Deep Dome Lamp fixture. It makes it really easy to get the proper temperature in the basking spot, and its so much safer than clamp lamps, which can fall and start fires. It looks really nice too. I use this setup when I have to bring my tortoises indoors and in my opinion its the best way to get proper lighting indoors.

Here's a picture, not my setup, but it shows the lamp setup I have.

Attachments

• tortoisetable8.jpg
    tortoisetable8.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 32

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
I use a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) for the basking spot. For lighting, I use a fluorescent ZooMed Repti-Sun strip light. This provides lots of light over a large area, as well as UVA/UVB radiation.

Status
Not open for further replies.