Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Lately is has been suggested that high humidity, moisture and hydration is a "band-aid" for some other husbandry problem. Similarly, it has been suggested the very high moisture levels are "balancing" out some other husbandry deficiency. I strongly disagree, based on decades of personal observation with several species, conversations with top pros, and the experiences of many people right here on the forum. I would like the proponents of these theories to tell me where and what the deficiency is in my husbandry.

The following describes my general husbandry practices for the last two decades. Please let me know where improvement is needed. Since the 80's I've been keeping Ctenosaurs, Cyclura, Green Iguanas and of course tortoises, so I've been a student of herbivorous diets for a long time. My torts have always had a varied diet based on a variety leafy greens from the grocery store, weeds, grass and home grown foods like cactus, hibiscus, mulberry and roses. Most of them were fed "a big pile daily" with the exception of my current adult sulcatas who were fed lightly and had many days skipped. They are now 43 and 48 pounds for my 12 year old males and 33 pounds for my 10 year old female. All my other torts were a more "normal" size for their age. They've all always had large outdoor pens for sunshine, exercise and natural grazing here in the CA sunshine and they are in their outdoor pens almost daily year round. I sometimes have to skip a week or two in the winter due to cold weather and rain. They've all had large indoor enclosures with UV lighting. I used to use the "reptile" tubes, but switched to MVBs when they hit the scene, 10 years ago. I've always used Rep-cal around twice a week and periodically offered cuttle bones, even though they are mostly ignored by my torts. Some had water bowls, some didn't. I usually soaked two or three times a week. More for babies, less for juvies and adults. For all of that time I used either some sort of dry pellet or sani-chips as a substrate. The tops of the enclosures were alway left open and the hides were dry.

All of my torts pyramided. ALL of them. 100%. Since implementing the "wet" routine (damp substrate, high humidity, shell spraying several times daily, daily soaks and water sprayed on the food) Not ONE single tort out of 42 has shown any signs of pyramiding.

My view is this: The "wet" routine is not a band aid. It is not a way to "balance" something else out. It is an important element of baby tortoise husbandry that was completely missing from my repertoire for most of my tortoise keeping life. Lately, it has also been proposed that there MIGHT be some unknown side effect from hydrating our tortoise babies and using humidity to keep them from drying out and chronically dehydrating. Anyone care to explain what possible mystery side effects could be there? As a student of biology, I studied kidney and liver anatomy and physiology extensively (even got A's on the tests) and I can't ever remember hearing or reading that lots of hydration was a bad thing, or that dehydration is somehow a good thing. Here's the thing: I soak them every day, but that doesn't mean they are drinking. They just have the opportunity to drink whether they want it or not. All the humidity (which despite my best efforts is only around 50% in the room and 70-80% in the covered tort enclosures) just keeps them from dehydrating in between drinks as rapidly. I'm not forcing them to drink or tubing it down to their stomachs. I'm just giving them every opportunity to get, and stay, as hydrated as they want.

Looking forward to learning something new here.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
The only ting I could suggest you change is probably stop using band aids.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
dmmj said:
The only ting I could suggest you change is probably stop using band aids.

What if they don't overlap the scute margins?

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Tom as we have discussed multiple times.. and I have been in the past and still am in this presence, totally amazed with those that even still insist that keeping, maintaining, breeding, incubating, hatching and raising up those hatchlings [ with endless data ].. in other words observing and recording how they react and respond to the seasons, etc. - still persist with the attitude that all of this is a SCIENCE??? Yeah.... then we have to define SCIENCE!

You are simply doing what a small number ( of us ) are doing.. and have been doing ( for decades ) with the same results - but have made public just recently. Maybe we should define SCIENCE as a process to prove that something simple and obvious just can't possibly be true so it must be proven false(?).. as far as keeping, etc. tortoises anyway.

Here we go........................................

TEK

btw..... none of "their" replies will hold water ---- sorry 'bout that!

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
For what its worth Tom, I'm behind the high humidity, moisture and hydration concept 100%. I am raising several Western Hermanns this way. They are 3-5 times their hatch weight and perfectly smooth. They are on 3-5 inches of damp Cypress, dry on top, and wet on the bottom. Since they are hatchlings, they are not in a large enclosure (4.5 sq/ft), so I assume they are getting less exercise than in nature, since they don't walk far for food. It is also worth noting, the winter night room temperature is 62-64 degrees, probably cooler than some think a tortoise should be damp in! I soak once a week. I feed daily.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Scott. Its nice to hear from a Testudo keeper since they really are so different than our Africans and South Americans. I suspected it would work them same with them, but I have never done it myself.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Redfoot NERD said:
Tom as we have discussed multiple times.. and I have been in the past and still am in this presence, totally amazed with those that even still insist that keeping, maintaining, breeding, incubating, hatching and raising up those hatchlings [ with endless data ].. in other words observing and recording how they react and respond to the seasons, etc. - still persist with the attitude that all of this is a SCIENCE??? Yeah.... then we have to define SCIENCE!

You are simply doing what a small number ( of us ) are doing.. and have been doing ( for decades ) with the same results - but have made public just recently. Maybe we should define SCIENCE as a process to prove that something simple and obvious just can't possibly be true so it must be proven false(?).. as far as keeping, etc. tortoises anyway.

TEK

Definition of Science:

1. The observation, identification, description, experimental investigation, and theoretical explanation of phenomena.
2. Such activities restricted to a class of natural phenomena.
3. Such activities applied to an object of inquiry or study.
2. Methodological activity, discipline, or study: I've got packing a suitcase down to a science.
3. An activity that appears to require study and method: the science of purchasing.
4. Knowledge, especially that gained through experience.
5. Science Christian Science.

I don't think there's any of us here confused by the definition of science Terry, but just in case you are here it is for you to read.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
Why not research the tortoises natural habitat and keep accordingly? What's so hard about that?

-Matt

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
matt41gb said:
Why not research the tortoises natural habitat and keep accordingly? What's so hard about that?

-Matt

From what I understand the difficulty comes from the fact that nobody has done this sufficiently. Tortoises aren't a big money-making research opportunity, so they don't get studied often. Even when they do get studied it's primarily the behavior of adults that get studied, not that of hatchlings which is what would be more telling as far as pyramiding prevention is concerned. What's more the studies seem to be interested in only 1 locale of tortoises at a time which makes it even harder to project the results onto all of the species.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
matt41gb said:

-Matt

Matt that's too simple. Those in my peer group have been practicing what Tom is demonstrating for [ once again ] decades! "Keep them like they live".. in the wild. I knew they - those science heads - would continue on...

TEK

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I don't look at humidity as the band aid. Rather, it is the glue that holds the puzzle together.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
PeanutbuttER said:
matt41gb said:

-Matt

From what I understand the difficulty comes from the fact that nobody has done this sufficiently. Tortoises aren't a big money-making research opportunity, so they don't get studied often. Even when they do get studied it's primarily the behavior of adults that get studied, not that of hatchlings which is what would be more telling as far as pyramiding prevention is concerned. What's more the studies seem to be interested in only 1 locale of tortoises at a time which makes it even harder to project the results onto all of the species.

"SUFFICIENTLY"????? This happens to be one of the few "common-denominators" among virtually all of the commonly kept tortoises today. ALL tortoises seek a hide to sleep in that is more humid than their surroundings. Ask anyone who has ever dug one out of their hide.

Of course there are always those that claim they have kept theirs the same way Tom did for the first 20 years of his tortoise keeping life..... and theirs are perfectly smooth.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Redfoot NERD said:
PeanutbuttER said:
matt41gb said:

-Matt

"SUFFICIENTLY"????? This happens to be one of the few "common-denominators" among virtually all of the commonly kept tortoises today. ALL tortoises seek a hide to sleep in that is more humid than their surroundings. Ask anyone who has ever dug one out of their hide.

Of course there are always those that claim they have kept theirs the same way Tom did for the first 20 years of his tortoise keeping life..... and theirs are perfectly smooth.

You misunderstood because my sentence was kinda ambiguous. I meant to say that the research hasn't been sufficient on wild populations, not that people haven't sufficiently tried their best to emulate their understanding of wild parameters.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Candy said:
Redfoot NERD said:

TEK

Definition of Science:

1. The observation, identification, description, experimental investigation, and theoretical explanation of phenomena.
2. Such activities restricted to a class of natural phenomena.
3. Such activities applied to an object of inquiry or study.
2. Methodological activity, discipline, or study: I've got packing a suitcase down to a science.
3. An activity that appears to require study and method: the science of purchasing.
4. Knowledge, especially that gained through experience.
5. Science Christian Science.

I don't think there's any of us here confused by the definition of science Terry, but just in case you are here it is for you to read.

Candy there is in this topic. I said the SCIENCE of 'keeping,etc.'.. and why they do what they do.! The "scoffers" here that cry "there's no scientific research to back it up" is what we're talking about here not what your Funk&Wagnalls defines it as. Tom is asking them to explain their sarcastic skepticism.

Providing a tortoise with their needed life-giving/sustaining humidity/water is not a science.. regardless how anyone defines it.

TEK

PeanutbuttER said:
Redfoot NERD said:
PeanutbuttER said:
matt41gb said:

-Matt

You misunderstood because my sentence was kinda ambiguous. I meant to say that the research hasn't been sufficient on wild populations, not that people haven't sufficiently tried their best to emulate their understanding of wild parameters.

Are you talking out of both sides of your mouth PB. Say what you mean and there's less chance of being misunderstood.

Do you believe that those of us that have in fact demonstrated what an ample amount of humidity/hydration - backed with pics - can do.... just might be what these different species of tortoises require "in the wild"? Do you need a list of us? A very few occasionally post here.. more seldom do anymore.. and there are several who never will because of the "Scientific Rhetoric" that goes on here.

Let's see the hands of the 'newbies' out there that really care about all of this yaddayadda -
GRIN.gif

TEK

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Tom said:
Lately is has been suggested that high humidity, moisture and hydration is a "band-aid" for some other husbandry problem. Similarly, it has been suggested the very high moisture levels are "balancing" out some other husbandry deficiency. I strongly disagree, based on decades of personal observation with several species, conversations with top pros, and the experiences of many people right here on the forum. I would like the proponents of these theories to tell me where and what the deficiency is in my husbandry.

Hmmm I'm a bit confused Tom. Who's been a "proponent" of the band aid theory? I can't help but think you're talking to me. As far as I know I'm the only one that's brought up the "Band-Aid" idea, but that's just a way to paraphrase Andy Highfield's ideas on the subject, and that doesn't mean I think he's right. He MIGHT be, but he could just as easily be WRONG, don't know yet, I've just referred to it. At that same time I clearly stated that the "band-aid" idea if it was correct

Does Not Apply to TOM. :)

Tom said:
Some had water bowls, some didn't. I usually soaked two or three times a week. More for babies, less for juvies and adults. For all of that time I used either some sort of dry pellet or sani-chips as a substrate. The tops of the enclosures were alway left open and the hides were dry.

All of my torts pyramided. ALL of them. 100%. Since implementing the "wet" routine (damp substrate, high humidity, shell spraying several times daily, daily soaks and water sprayed on the food) Not ONE single tort out of 42 has shown any signs of pyramiding.

Well I think you point out the flaw in your PREVIOUS cares fairly well. The poor torts were dehydrated and cooked. Even Andy Highfield does not advocate that level of dryness. (on paper at least, unfortunately the cares he advocates will lead to that level of dryness if necessary precautions are not taken, which is my big beef with his cares)

Tom said:
All the humidity (which despite my best efforts is only around 50% in the room and 70-80% in the covered tort enclosures) just keeps them from dehydrating in between drinks as rapidly.

This is interesting to me. I'm getting the same kind of results.

To be honest I think that's Andy's point and the one he's failing to get across. It is extremely difficult to get true extreme humidity (80-100) even in nature. The humidity crowd argues we need 90+, he says it doesn't exist, argument developes.

It all comes down to extremes. Its always black or white to most people. Either it has to be desert dry or rainforest wet. Hot or Cold, Bright or Dark, Lotsa protein, no protein, etc etc , on and on. In reality the true need usually falls somewhere in between.

The experts back then told you they needed to be dry. You were a good keeper, and followed their advice to the extreme. You saw that didn't work. Now you counter it with the extreme. Is that much humidity/hydration actually needed? probably, but we don't know, we just know it works.

Why is such extreme hydration probably needed? IMHO because of heat lamps and humidity/temperature differentials. Eliminate those things (as you and I have talked about) and you can get by with less humidity/hydration (I suspect).

My "gut" instinct on pyramiding at this point is that EJ was correct, in that pyramiding is purely cosmetic. Let the carapace become over dry, and pyramiding will result. This is most easily beaten by extreme hydration, as it is far too easy for a tortoise to become dehydrated.

In the past this hit tortoises with a "double whammy". Not only are their shells deformed from the dehydration, but their physiological processes as well, leading to any number of health disorders, hence the connection seen by many "experts" between pyramiding and mbd.

I am however willing to entertain the notion that I am wrong, hence my usual inclusion of the "other-side".

It is after all worthless scientific speculation and I am an inexperienced keeper so all of my efforts to understand the principles involved are meaningless in the eyes of the vocal majority.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I'm guessing that when onarock was talking about lack of scientific research for particular husbandry practices, he was referring to research done by the scientific method. You know: hypothesis, design an experiment, variables, control group, conclusion, all of that. If one were trying to use the scientific method to prove what husbandry practices would result in the best long-term health of the tortoise, first we'd have a debate about how to keep the control group(s). Then the researcher would have to decide which variable to test, and he might as well test them all or we're 30 years into the future without have the information we need. With multiple subjects in each group, and multiple species, over many many years, you are talking about a vast and extremely expensive undertaking. It would not be difficult to design such research, but where is the money for it? Who among us can really treat our torts as subjects and continue on with an experiment even if the results are visibly negative long before the term of experimentation has ended? Not me. I'm content with the knowledge we have from observations, anecdotes, etc.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
TortyQueen said:
I'm guessing that when onarock was talking about lack of scientific research for particular husbandry practices, he was referring to research done by the scientific method. You know: hypothesis, design an experiment, variables, control group, conclusion, all of that. If one were trying to use the scientific method to prove what husbandry practices would result in the best long-term health of the tortoise, first we'd have a debate about how to keep the control group(s). Then the researcher would have to decide which variable to test, and he might as well test them all or we're 30 years into the future without have the information we need. With multiple subjects in each group, and multiple species, over many many years, you are talking about a vast and extremely expensive undertaking. It would not be difficult to design such research, but where is the money for it? Who among us can really treat our torts as subjects and continue on with an experiment even if the results are visibly negative long before the term of experimentation has ended? Not me. I'm content with the knowledge we have from observations, anecdotes, etc.

Well written.....and I agree!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Also you would need a control group, one where you would be deliberately pyramiding them. That is why I could never be a researcher I could not deliberately make one group unhealthy.

John

5 Year Member
out of curiousity where did the 80% number come from what calculations led too this.are we speculating that a leopard tort hatchling in africa most of the for that matter all find a hide that is 80 f and 80% rh and are able too remain there for a year or more?from what i've seen too dry has been tried and failed,adding a humid hide has been added and succeeeded,what has led too go swamp,were the fife brothers wrong,are their claims of smooth healthy torts lies.why was it felt needed too go more extreme?

Status
Not open for further replies.