cracked shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

russiantortoiselover1

5 Year Member
My friends russian torts house fell on him and cracked a tiny teeny piece of his shell. We took him to the vet and them gave him some meds(pain killers), glued his shell a little and put some type of band aid on it. The crack is about a centimeter. My friend wants to know if she should take him back to the next week check up to see if he was doing fine. He is eating good and we all know vets are expensive so does she really have to take him back? I would post a pic of the crack but he has a band-aid we are not supposed to take off. Thanks :)

Beck

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Lakeland/Central FL
I'd call the vet, give them an update, and see if they recommend coming back. Sometimes if you explain that money is an issue, they'll work with you to keep your tort cared for without nice-but-not-required procedures/tests.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TortForum mobile app

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Depends upon the crack. Most shell injuries are not really as bad as they look. You'd be surprised what turtles and tortoise can live through. If the crack actually went into the body cavity and exposed in internal organs, then it's serious. If it's just a little chip on the edge, it's nothing.

russiantortoiselover1

5 Year Member
Thank you she says she will call the vet and see if she needs to come back :)

1labrador golden retriever mix:Annie
1cockapoo: lily
1baby bearded dragon:Lincoln
2russians: Ramona and scooter
3fish
1guinea pig: cookie
Love my pets!!

This is him nowImageUploadedByTortForum1375398913.407638.jpg

1labrador golden retriever mix:Annie
1cockapoo: lily
1baby bearded dragon:Lincoln
2russians: Ramona and scooter