Baking substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Florida
So I'm baking Echos coco coir top soil mix right now thanks to a weird infestation of tiny bugs. My question was what temp and for how long?
The search on my app won't work, sorry if this has been asked before.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
200-250 for 30 minutes. Also suggested was to boil it. I tried freezing and microwaving, didn't work. Keep close eye on it as it is flammable. Next time boiling it may be a safer way.

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
wellington said:
200-250 for 30 minutes. Also suggested was to boil it. I tried freezing and microwaving, didn't work. Keep close eye on it as it is flammable. Next time boiling it may be a safer way.

Oh wow, didn't think of boiling it. That's right! You were the one tinkering with ways to get rid of bugs.
I dunno where all these came from but there are hundreds it seems. I think I got them once I cut her coco coir with top soil. Not sure. They also seem to jump like fleas, yet are for sure not fleas. Any ideas on what they are?

And I'm assuming you throw it in a big stock pot with enough water to cover it and just boil it for a few?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's how I am going to boil mine. I have the little flying ones this time. Just changed mine because it was loaded with tiny crawling bugs. Now I have the flying fruit fly looking ones. I don't remember what others have called them. But they are driving me nuts. Someone that boils theirs, I think it's Neal, has used the same coir for a couple years. I think he says he boils it every few months. I would just boil or bake it when ever you see bugs. Wetting before baking would probably make it a lot safer to bake.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I would do the insect cycle. Heat then freeze then heat. This should kill hatchlings as well.

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
Yea, these crawling ones are driving me mad. You can't see them until you stare, then you realize it seems like more bugs than bedding. Ugh.

It's cooling off now, going to use it in the morning. Would throwing it in the freezer over night be of any use?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I say yes. Ive used this method for killing off crawlers in millet. Warming helps eggs to hatch, freezing helps the little bodies to burst. Mind you my freezer is a deep freeze at -15 f.

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
Cowboy_Ken said:
I say yes. Ive used this method for killing off crawlers in millet. Warming helps eggs to hatch, freezing helps the little bodies to burst. Mind you my freezer is a deep freeze at -15 f.

I just have an upright freezer, temps aren't as cold as the chest freezer - I don't have the space, but hopefully it'll work. Fingers crossed!

Status
Not open for further replies.