Coco coir fly problem

erniethetortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I currently have coco coir as my substrate but there are now tons of these flies in my tortoises enclosure and around my house. I also added some top soil to it, could that be causing the flies? Another question i have is i have a large coco coir block but it is very hard to break up is there a specific way your suppossed to break it? thanks in advance.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I currently have coco coir as my substrate but there are now tons of these flies in my tortoises enclosure and around my house. I also added some top soil to it, could that be causing the flies? Another question i have is i have a large coco coir block but it is very hard to break up is there a specific way your suppossed to break it? thanks in advance.

The flies are normal, and will go anywhere hot and humid. Not much you can do about those.
You are putting the block in water, right?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I have been adding some water but it hasn’t really helped, am I supposed to put the whole block in water?

Yes, you are supposed to soak the entire block in water for 10-30 minutes. Make sure you use a big bucket! It expands a LOT.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
TechnoCheese is right. The flies come from the surrounding environment and will colonize any substrate that is kept warm and damp.

You can try to break pieces off of the big coir block with a claw hammer, but soaking is much easier.

Last edited by a moderator:

erniethetortoise

Florida
TechnoCheese is right. The flies come from the surrounding environment and will colonize any substrate that is kept warm and damp.

You can try to break pieces off of the big coot block with a claw hammer, but soaking is much easier.

Thanks for the help

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sticky traps help a bit:

fly traps.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with all the above. I have tons of those flies in a green house in my basement. The flies seem to come from dirt/peat moss. The coir I only used to get the real tiny ones that were the size of fruit flies and would just die off. Th ones I have now look like little house flies. The fly strips help and you can also get other types of fly traps to help control them.