BAD drivers

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You ever drive in NYC? Beats south Florida on every account, same old people different season, even more foreigners from more different countries, even more tourists trapped in a much smaller area, even more delivery trucks (sometimes triple double parked) trapped in a smaller area. Kids who are so wound up for driving you can't drive in Manhattan unless you are at least 18. Then there are the swarms of cabs, the ever non ending road maintenance and construction blocking lanes., Oh and the last one, bucket-loads of pedestrians that seem to think a car contact will not hurt. Those damn bike messenger and delivery guys thinking they can pass through other solids, got them in FLA?

Drive in NYC then lets talk about driving under stress. Maybe Staten island is a bit worse 'cause then you have soccer Moms with overloaded SOB er ahh SUV's on the road too.

The only city more merciless for drivers that I have been in is Moscow, the real one in Russia, not the namesake in Idaho.
Just the thought of New York stresses me out. It's not my idea of home, or anywhere I'd like to be for more than the time it takes to drive past it.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I've heard that.

I was on someone else's ticket and lived in TriBeca/Chelsea area across from the 'Ghostbusters' firehouse for several months. Super walkable and lots of choices for food and entertainment. I could not have done it on the best direct salary I have earned. Those months were while building a private turtle aquarium in a penthouse apartment that took the whole top two floors of the building and with a roof top garden (bonus third floor). I was on a leave from the Philly Zoo with a broken back. People with $$, serious $$ get on well in NYC. I think that place sold/was bought for about 8 million in the mid 1990s. Brian Eno was the previous owner, some kind of musician.

Oh well, back to my current reality, herding mice and living in a stick built house in south of southern California. Hmm, another part of http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/live-naked-people.126107/n

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Jacqui, what happened to the olden days when truck drivers were good drivers and respected cars, and we (at least me) respected them? The young semi drivers now days OMG, they try to pass going up a hill, of course blocking traffic. They can't seem to go around a curve without crossing the center line, they cut cars off to change lanes, seen that happen twice over the weekend and just today. The cars were actually right next to them, had to slam on brakes in order to not get totally crushed and around here, almost every accident involves a semi, being the semi's fault. You and your husband should open a semi driving school and teach these young idiots how to give road respect and get road respect.

2 things happened # 1 was deregulation of the trucking industry ,since deregulation instead of having "rights" to certain routes and destinations any moron who can afford a $ 25. 00 LC permit can go anywhere he wants . Many of the experienced drivers gave it up because there isn't any money in it , so you have a LOT of inexperienced people out there . Believe it or not , you cant learn how to drive an 80,000 Lb. rig across a sheet of black ice hidden under an inch of fresh snow , in "Truck Driving School" ! :rolleyes:

# 2 would be Cell phones , because they are highly skilled "professional" drivers they are obviously more qualified to yak on their cell phones then the rest of us ! ;)

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
As a motorcyclist and class A CDL license holder in the state of Florida, I can tell you that south Florida drivers are the worst in the world. We have immigrants whom have never even sat in a car before, white knuckling down the road. We have the VERY, very old that think that the world is just there to annoy them. Driving without a care about the other cars on the road, or curbs, or mailboxes.... And we have the very young, texting and swerving from lane to lane and trying to race other teens in their loud mufflered rolling boxes of crap. The roads are too crowded and there are delivery vehicles everywhere and they all have a deadline.
I won't even drive near a Toyota Corolla any more. They always seemed to be owned by the worst offenders! (And I love Toyotas)

As a driver with equal qualifications I can tell that you have never had the privilege of driving in Arizona , home of the ONLY interstate highway that sports kilometer markers rather than mile markers ! Why ? Because most of the people using "I 19" cant read English , but of course that doesn't hinder them from getting a drivers license , they are just given the test orally through a translator. We wont even get into the idea that their vehicles are registered "out of country" because it is cheaper and there are no insurance requirements ! Want a thrill ? Come on down ! :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As a driver with equal qualifications I can tell that you have never had the privilege of driving in Arizona , home of the ONLY interstate highway that sports kilometer markers rather than mile markers ! Why ? Because most of the people using "I 19" cant read English , but of course that doesn't hinder them from getting a drivers license , they are just given the test orally through a translator. We wont even get into the idea that their vehicles are registered "out of country" because it is cheaper and there are no insurance requirements ! Want a thrill ? Come on down ! :D
WHAT. This is ridiculous. I have so much to say about this, but won't. It would probably get deleted. However, the above should not be allowed. I couldn't put up with that. I don't even let people get away with saying they are from Chicago, when they are really from the burbs. You want to claim your from Chicago, then live here and pay the price. I couldn't live in AZ and let that happen. I would probably end up in jail

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
WHAT. This is ridiculous. I have so much to say about this, but won't. It would probably get deleted. However, the above should not be allowed. I couldn't put up with that. I don't even let people get away with saying they are from Chicago, when they are really from the burbs. You want to claim your from Chicago, then live here and pay the price. I couldn't live in AZ and let that happen. I would probably end up in jail

I understand about "probably being deleted" I had to think long and hard about how to express myself without anyone taking offense ! I didn't even get into our "open trade" agreement , and all of the old unsafe vehicles crossing back and forth all day , with the "highly skilled and qualified" drivers that these company's employ . We wont even talk about how drivers with out of country plates aren't pulled over because and I quote "They probably wont show up for court anyway " ! Business is the biggest supporter of all these things because these folks spend a lot of money here , not credit cards , CASH $$$ !!

the_newzie

5 Year Member
las vegas
In Vegas, the drivers are horrible. Tons of elderly gamblers and drunk tourists. Not to mention all the super cars driven by guys who couldn't handle a Toyota Corolla and the housewives in Suburbans and Escalades who couldn't park a fiat 500 within the lines. And don't get me started on going under the speed limit in the fast lane.... I dislike that in America driving is seen as right instead of as a privilege. From what I know in the UK and Germany you can lose your license real quick which promotes better driving, but Finland has to take the cake. You're basically trained as a professional rally driver by the time you are awarded your permanent license (it takes like 2 years to obtain a license and you have to be able to drive on all sorts of terrain).

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
My friend here in Morocco went to take his driving test a couple of years back having been driving illegally for some time.
"Right pay us 500 DH" ( about $50) said the examiner.
"But i want to take the test.", said Mohammed, my friend.
"There's no actual test", came the reply. " Pay the money or you fail."
" I haven't got the money".
So he failed, having booked and paid for the test.
He went back later and bought his licence, then later a licence for an HGV and bus or something.
Last year he drove his coach into a bicycle and a VW and killed two people.

Last edited by a moderator: