Cactus help: Rot

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I've had this cactus close to 4 years and got it my first semester in college so I'm kind of devastated coming to work to see this. On Friday there was nothing wrong with it at all! What can I do to try to save it!? Can you cut the rot off and hope the top takes? I can't give up without at least trying something!
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1431435137.326461.jpg

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Yes, cut the top off. Give it time to callous before you root it. Maybe two weeks? You'll see it. Keep it dry while you're waiting. Root it by placing it on top of the dirt in a flower pot, & water occasionally.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Yes, cut the top off. Give it time to callous before you root it. Maybe two weeks? You'll see it. Keep it dry while you're waiting. Root it by placing it on top of the dirt in a flower pot, & water occasionally.
How high above the rot?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Only as high as you need to go to get into the healthy plant & remove all rot, but no higher.

Use a very sharp clean knife & don't saw at it. So, not a serrated blade.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
You can always cut off more if the rot extends farther than you thought it would, so you can be conservative in your cut.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How high above the rot?

I'd go half way between the tip of the cactus and the top of the rotted area.

Put it in a well ventilated area and wait about two week. Then put it on top of some "dry-ish" sandy soil in full sun and don't water for at least a month. After the first month only water a little bit as needed depending on your climate and weather.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I'd go half way between the tip of the cactus and the top of the rotted area.

Put it in a well ventilated area and wait about two week. Then put it on top of some "dry-ish" sandy soil in full sun and don't water for at least a month. After the first month only water a little bit as needed depending on your climate and weather.
I read a lot of advice saying use sulfur powder to dust the cut when I do it, because it's antifungal should I do that? Would that even help? Could I wait until the end of work day or should I do it at lunch (outside of course since I'm sure it'll be quite smelly)

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I don't use anti fungal powder and have good results anyway. The good ventilation is critical.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Keep it away from damp areas, don't spray it, do not put the cut side against anything. No dark spaces, no plastic bags or terrariums. I let mine rest on its spines so there is airflow underneath.

If the rot is too pervasive this won't work, but otherwise it's just a patience game.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I read a lot of advice saying use sulfur powder to dust the cut when I do it, because it's antifungal should I do that? Would that even help?

I've never used anything like that. I never used any sort of "product" at all.

I weather my cut cactus pieces outside in the breezeway on top of a wire cage, but not in full sun. I think the air is too still indoors.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do Not make a cut in the rotten portion then use the same knife to cut into the not rotten portion. You will re-infect the good part.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Do Not make a cut in the rotten portion then use the same knife to cut into the not rotten portion. You will re-infect the good part.
I want to avoid that rotten portion As much as possible it makes my stomach turn and I can only imagine the smell inside. Can it wait until I get home or should I perform lunchtime surgery?

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Lunchtime surgery it is, I got a sharp knife from my dad and will be going out to the trunk of my car to do it and get off and chuck the dead so it won't smell up the office... Cuz I got close and it's putrid! It looks like over watering was the problem because there's mold on the bottom of the place it fell ... I don't get it because the other one is fine with same soil and watering. I'll be repotting the other one tonight in "cactus soil" from Home Depot and hoping that one stays ok and this one pulls through

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Thanks for the advice guys, I guess it was too far gone, the rot went all up the inside and there was no saving him :(
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1431448859.339275.jpg

I'm re potting the other tonight.

How often should I be watering these? Was once a week too much?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How often should I be watering these? Was once a week too much?

It varies greatly. When its 105 degrees and 6% humidity here in the summer, I have to water mine twice a week. I don't water them at all for the entire fall and winter.

The advice I've seen for potted ones is to let them dry out between waterings. So stick your finger deep down into the soil once a week or so. If its damp, just walk away. Bone dry? Add a little water.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
And it's important to note what Tom said about winter watering.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
The soil content/drainage affects how often you should water. It should dry out. In the winter, give it a dry period for the dark days, about 6 weeks, then water thoroughly. Once a week after that may be just right, or it may not be.

I lost a cactus to overwater this winter. I should have known better. I'd had it for more years than I can remember, and it flowered several times a year. Mush.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
The soil content/drainage affects how often you should water. It should dry out. In the winter, give it a dry period for the dark days, about 6 weeks, then water thoroughly. Once a week after that may be just right, or it may not be.

I lost a cactus to overwater this winter. I should have known better. I'd had it for more years than I can remember, and it flowered several times a year. Mush.
Good size pot or too small for my live one?
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1431461060.011437.jpg

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Seems fine, maybe a bit large. The roots will grow out of the hole at the bottom when it's time to repot. I find I water based on the size of the pot, so it's better if the roots fill it.