Bad Adventure

Oldbattleaxe

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South South Texas,
Last night, while I was working in my yard, my neighbor's boyfriend, R, called me over to the fence to show me a turtle he had found. It's a six foot tall fence, but I climbed onto some cinder blocks to see what he had. R wanted to know whether the turtle, a 9" Texas map, would be ok living in an upright kitchen trash bin.
R is very friendly, but not very bright, and he couldn't see why it couldn't just live in the yard like my torts do. I asked my daughter to bring me on of my Russians over, and I was showing him the difference between turtles and torts when the neighbor, M, went into a manic rage. My daughter Jordan was also leaning over the fence by this time, and was proudly showing off Sophie, her sulcata baby, when M snatched Sophie from Jordan's hand. R was by now holding and admiring the Russian, and he asked her to please give the baby back. Instead, she stepped back out of our reach and started squeezing Sophie's shell, and laughing. R stepped towards her, but we both knew that upsetting her would just make her kill it, so we tried talking calmly to her while she kept laughing, and trying to pry the little torts feet and head out with her fingernails. Finally she let R get close to her and he was trying to talk her into giving Sophie back, when she reached out and grabbed the Russian from him. She immediately tried to shove tortoise in his face. R stumbled back, while she tried repeatedly to hit his head, and once he was out of arms length, she drew back and hurled the tort at his head. By some miracle he caught the tortoise before it hit the ground, and he backed up and handed her to me over the fence. At this point, while we watched helplessly, M still laughing, rushed at R, and when he dodged out of the way, she lifted up Sophie, and slam dunked her hard into the trash bin of water with the turtle. R was able after a few very long moments, to get Sophie out and pass her back to us.
After all of this R was still wanting to know if M could feed the Texas Map dog food. As I continued to talk to him, (the damage to my torts was done, and there was nothing I could do about it, but I was still hoping to rescue the turtle.) M, a little calmer now told me how R has bought her little turtles at the flea market, but, "they're all dead now". Now I want to point out that M regularly gets manic and rages, cries, screams, demolishes things, etc. I know of 4 puppies, 3 kittens/cats, and a few parakeets, that R has bought her and have all vanished within 2 or 3 weeks. I have suspected she was killing them, but I have never had any proof that she was harming them. I was trying to explain the aspects of turtle care in hopes that he would decide to set it free. I think M sensed that and that's why she went nuts. As we talked, M revealed that R had stolen the turtle for her from our local Bass Pro Shop. At this point I had had enough, and I needed to check my Russian, comfort my daughter, and gauge the damage to Sophie.
All will recover, Sophie, whom I was sure would be heavily damaged and traumatized, popped right out of her shell, when I picked her up and greedily dove into some squash and cactus.
This morning, after calling animal control, the humane society, etc, and getting no answers, I was able to get ahold of the GM of Bass Pro, and let him know where his turtle was. He wanted to see it rescued, but couldn't intervene without permission of the land owner. Of course the land owner stole the turtle! I didn't want to intervene anymore because I just don't want that woman coming after me. However, the turtle was still in the yard in an upright kitchen garbage bin, and I knew that once the sun reached the tub the turtle was done for, so in the end I "recovered stolen property". I returned it to Bass Pro this morning before they opened, and they were grateful to have it back.
I'm so thankful for the 6' fence that protects my kids, dogs and torts.

Greta16

Western Maine
Oh my God. I'd watch out that they don't try and retaliate. Awful people! So is R the parent and M a child?

Oldbattleaxe

5 Year Member
South South Texas,
M is off meds mentally unstable neighbor, woman in her 40's,
R is sweet, but simple boyfriend of neighbor who pays her bills, buys her food and pets and bails her out of trouble.

Greta16

Western Maine
Oh, I see. The way you described her sounds like a child having a tantrum. Personality disorder. That sounds scary. Glad your tort wasn't hurt! That could have been bad!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You are wayyyyy nicer then I would have been. Mental or not, I would have been over or around that fence with her throat in my hands. Then R would have heard things out if my mouth that would have made him cry and possibly want to move.
No one gets away with torturing, hurting or even threatening my animals.
You better be very careful with your animals and if they have any animals or you see that they get any be prepared to take pics or video of the abuse she will surely do and turn their butts in! Animals have no voice. We have to be it for them. Man, R and M would be having a very bad day if they were my neighbors.
So hole every turtle/tortoise is okay.

Oldbattleaxe

5 Year Member
South South Texas,
I talked to the Humane Society about her, but there doesn't seem to be anything anyone can do until she gets caught. If he brings her another pet, and I have no doubt he will, I'll notify them and keep my eyes peeled. My pets are safe, she is too large a woman to get over the fence.

Greta16

Western Maine
Hopefully something can be done to prevent her killing anymore poor animals. At least the Humane Society is now aware.

Oldbattleaxe

5 Year Member
South South Texas,
I wish I knew who her state councilor was, they need to know what she is doing, but all this has taken place over 2.5 years, and I still don't know her last name. She came after me an R with a metal pole once and I did call the police, but as soon as R got away, he called them back up and told them everything was fine and they never sent anyone.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
i like Jaizei thought. If you don't have any security cameras, you might want to get some. If you can't do that, don't go outside without a camera, video camera or your cell phone and catch her every time you either see something or even just hear her go nuts.

Oldbattleaxe

5 Year Member
South South Texas,
No, it I think I can get some low-res wifi or Bluetooth cameras set up fairly cheaply. Thanks, Im going to bring that up with my hubby. Having one watching the tort yards would really bring some peace of mind.

eric joranson

Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
Do not fool around on this; get yourself a restraining order; keep them up to 1000 yards away from you and yours. Violation of a restraining order will at least give police officers the grounds to arrest her; and get her to someplace she can get the some kind of help. Otherwise its just another domestic situation that may or may not be responded to. People that are disturbed enough to do this to small animals; can escalate to small humans. Please be very careful of this person; and even her BF who is enabling her to continue this behavior unchecked.

Tortoise_Nerd

5 Year Member
Georgia
Now if you asked me what my reaction would be I would answer like this. I would have climbed over the fence and snatched all of the turtles/tortoises and call the authorities for animal cruelty

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Now if you asked me what my reaction would be I would answer like this. I would have climbed over the fence and snatched all of the turtles/tortoises and call the authorities for animal cruelty
And got shot for trespassing, unfortunately the law is still in their favor even though they snatched them. Best thing is to do is just keep eye on things and have someone call the police.

Greta16

Western Maine
Please be careful and get a security camera like these guys said. She's unstable and therefore unpredictable.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have very inexpensive and very easy to set up and use wireless security cameras that I purchased from Harbor Freight.
$199.
2 wireless cameras, monitor.
Ad a DVR for a few bucks more.
I've also planted some very unfriendly bougainvillea all along the fence.
I'm not as patient or as kind.
This whole story is aweful.