Babysitting!

Seshaw2

I will not be getting my RT till after mid July because of vacation but plan on having some short weekend trips after that. My mom and dad have agreed to keep it when we do. My question is- he/she will have an 8x4 ft indoor space at our house but when being watched will it hurt to keep it a few days in a rubber made tub at my parents or a 55g aquarium just temporary with heat and light?? I thought maybe for a two day trip that could be ok?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That should be fine. Just be sure it has all the stuff it needs and temps and humidity are correct. Do some dry runs and put things on timers and thermastats so it's easier for them to care for him with things set up to pretty much run on its own

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I will not be getting my RT till after mid July because of vacation but plan on having some short weekend trips after that. My mom and dad have agreed to keep it when we do. My question is- he/she will have an 8x4 ft indoor space at our house but when being watched will it hurt to keep it a few days in a rubber made tub at my parents or a 55g aquarium just temporary with heat and light?? I thought maybe for a two day trip that could be ok?

To go from a 4x8' table to a 55 gallon tank or tub in a strange place will be very stressful. I would not do that.

Leave your tortoise at home with all of its heat and lighting set on timers. Remove the waters so they can't be soiled, and leave a big opuntia pad or two in there for food. Soak the tortoise the day you leave or the day before, and soak again when you return. Have a friend or neighbor come by to check on him once a day, or set up a web cam.

TortoiseWarrior

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Yes timers work great. Give Tom's post a try and let us know how it goes. Can't hurt.