Baby leopard problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Houston, Texas
Spoke too soon about my baby leopard Elias being super healthy.. This morning I took him outside when it was about 80 degrees, then brought him back in 4 hours later when it reach about 94... When it started to get hot I sprayed the enclosure, but I'm not sure if by me making his shell wet if it made his shell get too cold when the wind blew? But after a while I took him out if his enclosure to give him him daily soak and his eyes wouldn't open again... This time it looks bad, like the pictures I saw of the poor reptiles who got eye damage from the UV lights... That, and his nose has been a bit runny and one nostril made a few bubbles.. His enclosure has had humidity at 81% (on one side, the other side I couldn't put a top on so that side stays at around 45%) and his temps on the cool side is 80, basking light stays at 100 right under it, ambient is around 85, then at night ambient also goes down to 81... Does it look like I need to take the uv out? Because really the eyes sticking shut started when I took him out of the outdoor enclosure (which was the whole reason why I didn't keep him out there longer..) so I really am dumbfounded about what's going on. :( I hope someone can help..

I have a video as well, I'll put it up as soon as I get a hold of the computer...

Attachments

• image-4244832748.png
    image-4244832748.png
    618.1 KB · Views: 60

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Outdoor or indoor enclosure? is this recent or something long term? What type of light are you using?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
The temperatures are OK with all that humidity. What type of lighting do you have in your indoor enclosure.

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
dmmj said:
Outdoor or indoor enclosure? is this recent or something long term? What type of light are you using?

This all happened within 11 am to now... Just now when I checked was when I was really worried about the eyes not opening..
The outdoor enclosure has nothing special besides a hide, water dish and a place for food, the temps and humidity I was talking about was the indoor setup... And the lights I have are setup odd because the enclosure is actually 2 50 gallon tubs that were combined into one, the blue tub has a hood light with a black night light, blue daylight and UVB tube light, then at the south end is te basking lamp close enough to make it 100 degrees underneath, and at the north end has a CHE right above the humid hide. On the green side it has the basking light at the south side then another CHE on the north side above the second humid hide... Here are a few pictures, I have a fogger and a device that controls the heat and humidity... I thought everything was going fine, he was active before I took him out, an even after I brought him in he still ate like a little pig, but he slept more today than usual after coming back inside...

(the second photo is a better view of the blue side, but it was before I put the CHE right above the pot hide...)

Attachments

• image-750915202.png
    image-750915202.png
    166 KB · Views: 34
  • image-2426148734.png
    image-2426148734.png
    181.9 KB · Views: 31

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hmm this is extremely odd Kim. So he was perfectly fine until you brought him inside? If that is the case then it could have something to do with the lights. I hope Elias makes a speedy recovery!!! :)

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Eye problems are usually one of several reasons, RI, irritant, vitamin a deficient.

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Eweezyfosheezy said:
Hmm this is extremely odd Kim. So he was perfectly fine until you brought him inside? If that is the case then it could have something to do with the lights. I hope Elias makes a speedy recovery!!! :)

Actually the reason I brought him in was because the eyes were sticking closed again while he was outside. I thought it was too dry, so I took him back in, but it hasn't gotten better yet.. Mommy freak out :(

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
KimandKarasi said:
Eweezyfosheezy said:

Actually the reason I brought him in was because the eyes were sticking closed again while he was outside. I thought it was too dry, so I took him back in, but it hasn't gotten better yet.. Mommy freak out :(

Did you soak him when you brought him in? If so did his eyes clear up at all?

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
dmmj said:
Eye problems are usually one of several reasons, RI, irritant, vitamin a deficient.

I figured since the nose started to bubble it was an RI, but I don't really know.. Bugs keep crawling around on his face, could that irritate his eyes? I just really don't know... Would soaking an extra time during the day help any?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
It could be humidity related, doing this over the internet is not easy. I would imagine the bugs are attracted to the eyes junk that may be there. A warm soak wouldn't hurt just don't let him get cold.

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Eweezyfosheezy said:
Did you soak him when you brought him in? If so did his eyes clear up at all?

I actually soaked him before I took him out, I wasn't going to do another soak until tomorrow because I thought he needed sleep :( should I do a bit of a soak now?

dmmj said:
It could be humidity related, doing this over the internet is not easy. I would imagine the bugs are attracted to the eyes junk that may be there. A warm soak wouldn't hurt just don't let him get cold.

As in too much humidity? :( I was trying to be a part of the wetness Tom experiment, it worked so good for his torts...

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I would soak him right now if I were you. Always soak with lukewarm water. He should be able to open his eyes after that.

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Eweezyfosheezy said:
I would soak him right now if I were you. Always soak with lukewarm water. He should be able to open his eyes after that.

I just put him in lukewarm water, and he actually sneezed :( I didn't know they could sneeze, the poor thing... He's opening his mouth like he can't breathe through his nose.. His eyes are opening fine now though.. And the booger cleared out after his second little sneeze... Would it be okay to soak him like this three times tomorrow? Morning noon and before bed? It seems to really help

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
You can barely see it in the picture but the residue is keeping him from opening it fully..

Eweezyfosheezy said:
Three times would be perfectly fine. Hopefully hes back to his old self tomorrow morning. Good luck!!!! :D

He's being more active in his water that's for sure... I just wonder what was wrong.. :(

Attachments

• image-1485856809.png
    image-1485856809.png
    183.2 KB · Views: 35

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I hope he is better tomorrow. I, personally, wouldn't spray him with cold water when he is outside unless the temps are really hot, like 95+, maybe even 100+ But even then at his young age I don't think I would use cold hose water. what I do for mine when it is really hot like it was last week, I will spray the ground around him, but not on him. This way it brings in some humidity and will cool him a little when or if he walks through it. Hopefully he just got an irritant and it is over now. Let us know how he is tomorrow.

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
wellington said:
I hope he is better tomorrow. I, personally, wouldn't spray him with cold water when he is outside unless the temps are really hot, like 95+, maybe even 100+ But even then at his young age I don't think I would use cold hose water. what I do for mine when it is really hot like it was last week, I will spray the ground around him, but not on him. This way it brings in some humidity and will cool him a little when or if he walks through it. Hopefully he just got an irritant and it is over now. Let us know how he is tomorrow.

Actually I used warm water in a spray bottle because I knew once it went through becoming spray it cooled down a lot.. I would never use cold water in fear this exact thing would happen, I was just wondering if maybe even though it was warm when it hit him after being pooled in droplets on him for a while if the wind cooled it down enough to where it caused this little episode. :( I will definitely update tomorrow after the first soak and sunning (without spritzing, lol..)

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Is the open mouth breathing constant? Is the breathing labored? I was referring to to little humidity.

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
last night it was more like he would be fine, then would realize he couldnt breathe out of his nose then would open his mouth a bit, then close it again.. this is the video of him last night.. http://s867.photobucket.com/albums/ab234/Amethyst1117/?action=view&current=004-7.mp4 he wouldnt open his eyes, and you can see him open his mouth and stretch his neck like he really couldnt breathe. :(
but after his soak, he got a little bit better, the eyes were just still a bit sticky and i helped get a bit of the booger reidue off him when necessary, and he sneezed and got the snot out mostly (he hasnt had the breathing problem since the discharge.) and he got even more active during the night and this morning.
So this morning I gave him another soak, and this is him being such a wiggle butt I could hardlly keep the camera on him! lol. http://s867.photobucket.com/albums/ab234/Amethyst1117/?action=view&current=007-5.mp4 he still itches at the eye that still has the most residue in it but other than that he's doing just fine I believe. :) I tried to show that his nose was all cleared up but my phone wouldnt allow it...
Then I put him outside, and he looks like a pretty happy camper, munching away on the clovers. http://s867.photobucket.com/albums/ab234/Amethyst1117/?action=view&current=008-6.mp4 I had to stop the video in the end though because I didnt know why he was having such trouble with the one leaf, so I tried to help him out.. lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.