Baby sulcata has bubbles

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
Fantastic, do what you can for now to keep things warm and be sure to check back when you start setting things up

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
...and don't want my tort to suffer for it.

We share a common goal!!! :)

Seriously, though. Everyone here words things differently and comes across differently, but all of us just want to help. We know it can be frustrating to get conflicting advice, or to be told that you are doing "everything" "wrong", but stick with us, and we will help you sort it all out.

Just keep asking all your questions and we will keep explaining until it is clear. In time this will all make sense and I promise it will get fun and easy, and you'll have many happy years with your tortoise. Right now the immediate concern is getting him warmer. The condensation on your glass tells me that the room is cold. With that open top and evaporative cooling, your night temps are probably much too low. Easiest fix if you can't get the needed equipment is to stick the tank in a bathroom with a space heater and shut the door. Every been to South Florida or New Orleans in summer. Hot and humid is what you are after. Mid 80s at night and low 90s during the day. On a cold winter day, a room that is heated to the 90s will feel like an oven. Use a thermometer to check the temperature. Don't go by "feel". Don't have a space heater? Walmart is usually open until 10 or 12. Some of them are open 24 hours.

Betsy

5 Year Member
Thank you! I'm actually from SF so i know just what to aim for ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you! I'm actually from SF so i know just what to aim for ;)

Perfect! Being from Southern CA, I saw SF and thought you meant San Francisco which is entirely the wrong climate, but then I figured out what you meant.

My friend from Senegal who studies wild sulcatas told me there are but two seasons over there. "Hot" and "Hotter". There is no "winter" or cold part of the year.