Status
Not open for further replies.

soundwave

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Calgary, Alberta CANADA
Hi,

I'm a proud papa of two baby Greek tortoises.

I would like to know what should the proper temperature for them in their enclosure. I have a small 10 gallon tank. The basking temp is 95 F, the cooler end is 70 and ambient temp is 75 to 78. I plan to use a heat pad.

Do you recommend using night time lamp? If left the heat pad on, do you think it is enough heat?

Thank you for help in this matter.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi,
Heat pads aren't a good idea for a heat source, unless your setting up a hospital tank.
If your night time temperatures are 65 to 70F than you don't need any supplemental heat.
What are you doing for lights and substrate?

Danny

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
soundwave said:
Hi,

I'm a proud papa of two baby Greek tortoises.

I would like to know what should the proper temperature for them in their enclosure. I have a small 10 gallon tank. The basking temp is 95 F, the cooler end is 70 and ambient temp is 75 to 78. I plan to use a heat pad.

Do you recommend using night time lamp? If left the heat pad on, do you think it is enough heat?

Thank you for help in this matter.

Since it sounds like you're plannig to raise the greeks indoor, I don't think night-time lamp is necessary unless the room temperature would drop below 55-60F. I let my Ibera greeks almost 100% outside during late spring to early fall and they're fine without any special heat-emission light, even though the outside temp could be in the low 50s sometimes here in SF bay area.

oswego tort lover

10 Year Member!
oswego co. ny. u.s.a.
here 15 miles from lake ontario my greeks and hermanni from may to early oct stay outside 24/7 unless it goes below 40f at nite. then i would bring them inside if i can find them. they burrow into the earth here and so avoid frost. .my greeks are testudo ibera from dean s. stock in cal. ....ed

soundwave

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta CANADA
Unfortunately the weather in Calgary Canada is very mild so I keep my guys indoor at night but they room in the daytime. My new baby greeks will be kept inside until they get a bit larger.

I have 25 watt heat bulb and a UVB light. My tank is 10 gallons.

Attachments

• grrek-home.jpg
    grrek-home.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 35
Status
Not open for further replies.