help with my new baby golden greek

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
Hi guys,
I just received my new baby golden greek tortoise couple of days ago from one of the breeders in las vegas. At first time, it was eating very well and very active but slept most of the time like anyother baby tortoise, which is ok for me. The problem is after couple of days later its not eating for a day. I tried to put food diretly to his mouth and droped him on food dish but he refused and slept. Im really worried about my tortoise not eating because its a baby. This is my first time with tortoise so i lack in knowledge, please help me guy!

p.s. the habitat is mulched with repit bark, some hay, wooden hut on the corner, water dish and food dish on side, uvb lamp,ceramic heat emitter and finally heat pad on bottom of the tank.I turn on uvb for 12 or more hours a day and 24 hours of ceramic heat emitter on opposite side of cooler area.

The temperature is about 30-32 on the hot spot and in cooler area about 28 or more. The humidity is usually less than 70, it really depends on the weather. I live in new york and it has high humidity but never passed 75.

i feed him with spring mix,hay, and all kinds of vegies.

Thank You!

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
questions for baby golden greek

Hi guys,
I just got new baby golden greek couple of days ago.
At first time it ate well and were very active, but when i checked yesterday, it didnt eat for a whole day. Im really worried because this is my first time with tortoise. I usually feed him two times a day(morning, night). how can i make my tortoise to eat well again. please help me guys.

Thank you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: questions for baby golden greek

Hi cyyoung749:

I try not to answer threads that don't pertain to my area of expertise, but I wanted to say, Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York

Welcome to the forum! :)

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA

How old is your baby? When they have just recently hatched, they can take a week or two to begin eating. In the wild, it is believed they may stay in the nest until spring in some locations due to lack of rain and available food.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
It's not unusual for a tortoise, especially a young tortoise, to not eat for several days, even a week or more when placed into a completely new environment. They need to become familiar with their new surroundings and feel secure enough to come out and explore. Constantly picking them up is only going to prolong the process of being secure with their new environment.
At this point the most important thing is that your tortoise stay well hydrated. Because of their low body mass baby tortoises can dehydrate rapidly in a short period of time. I personally don't rely on them drinking from a water dish on their own at this age. Because in order to do that they would have to venture out of hiding which they may be hesitant to do. Although excessive handling isn't recommended, ensuring that they are hydrated is. I place babies and newly acquired tortoises in a shallow water container (plastic shoe boxes work well), in tepid water that is "knee deep" to them in order for them to drink. Some will drink, others will scramble to climb out because they have never been in that situation. Most babies will sit for a short period of time and then often drink. I do this every other day for at least a couple of weeks and then once the tortoise becomes more active in it's enclosure I then water (soak) them about 2-3 times weekly, depending upon the age of the tortoise. The temperature directly under the center bean of the basking light should be around 90-100 degrees with the ambient air temperature anywhere from 75-85 during the daytime and 10-15 degree drop at night. Golden Greeks are not necessarily one specific species and are from a variety of regions within the Middle East. Some Testudo species are more active with a greater day to night temperature differential, Middle Eastern species are not. They only require about a 10-15 degree difference. Ambient humidity should be in the 50-70% range. The diet should consist of much more variety (and quality) of greens than just spring mix, which is mostly different lettuces. Most baby tortoises and Greek subspecies in general, show little interest in hay. It isn't doing any harm to offer it but don't be concerned if it isn't eaten. Go easy on the vegetables, they should make up no more than 20% of a Middle Eastern Greek's diet. They key to a good diet is constant variety & quality along with a constant source of calcium and hydration.

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
It's not unusual for a tortoise, especially a young tortoise, to not eat for several days, even a week or more when placed into a completely new environment. They need to become familiar with their new surroundings and feel secure enough to come out and explore. Constantly picking them up is only going to prolong the process of being secure with their new environment.
At this point the most important thing is that your tortoise stay well hydrated. Because of their low body mass baby tortoises can dehydrate rapidly in a short period of time. I personally don't rely on them drinking from a water dish on their own at this age. Because in order to do that they would have to venture out of hiding which they may be hesitant to do. Although excessive handling isn't recommended, ensuring that they are hydrated is. I place babies and newly acquired tortoises in a shallow water container (plastic shoe boxes work well), in tepid water that is "knee deep" to them in order for them to drink. Some will drink, others will scramble to climb out because they have never been in that situation. Most babies will sit for a short period of time and then often drink. I do this every other day for at least a couple of weeks and then once the tortoise becomes more active in it's enclosure I then water (soak) them about 2-3 times weekly, depending upon the age of the tortoise. The temperature directly under the center bean of the basking light should be around 90-100 degrees with the ambient air temperature anywhere from 75-85 during the daytime and 10-15 degree drop at night. Golden Greeks are not necessarily one specific species and are from a variety of regions within the Middle East. Some Testudo species are more active with a greater day to night temperature differential, Middle Eastern species are not. They only require about a 10-15 degree difference. Ambient humidity should be in the 50-70% range. The diet should consist of much more variety (and quality) of greens than just spring mix, which is mostly different lettuces. Most baby tortoises and Greek subspecies in general, show little interest in hay. It isn't doing any harm to offer it but don't be concerned if it isn't eaten. Go easy on the vegetables, they should make up no more than 20% of a Middle Eastern Greek's diet. They key to a good diet is constant variety & quality along with a constant source of calcium and hydration.

thank you very much for your valuable informations.
unforuntaely it died like week ago....
mabye it was sick before it came because it didnt move at all but sleep all day.

cyyoung749

5 Year Member

emysemys said:
Hi cyyoung749:

I try not to answer threads that don't pertain to my area of expertise, but I wanted to say, Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

call me kim im from new york. sorry i couldnt join this fourm for long time. thank you for ur reply. but it died... so i got a another one from the breeder and its doing really good

cyyoung749

5 Year Member

supremelysteve said:
How old is your baby? When they have just recently hatched, they can take a week or two to begin eating. In the wild, it is believed they may stay in the nest until spring in some locations due to lack of rain and available food.

thank you got reply. but it died like a week ago...
so i got black greek and its doing really good.
thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm very sorry you lost your first baby, Kim. Let's hope this one does better.

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
thank you. this one is very healthy so im very happy. thank you guys

Status
Not open for further replies.