Are hides necessary

Status
Not open for further replies.

snake_girl85

5 Year Member
I think it all boils down to the instincts of the animal you are caring for. You can condition their behaviors to a point, but to try to deprive them of what they instinctively seek out as a basic necessity is only going to cause them undue stress.

Seeking out shelter as a wild animal serves many purposes. It protects them from the elements (wind, rain, cold, sun, heat, etc...), can provide an ideal microclimate (raised humidity, etc...), and most importantly, provide protection from predators. The original poster stated that the enclosure itself is a shelter... From the elements, yes, but in the eyes of the animal, not from predators. Lions and elephants don't cower in burrows simply because they don't HAVE to. They don't have to worry as much about predators, unless they are protecting their young.

Protection from predators is especially important in young reptiles. When you are little, everything in the world that is bigger than you wants to eat you. As the reptile gets larger, they are less threatened, and can become a little more "confident," so to speak. This is why baby snakes and baby tortoises spend so much time hiding. To remove the opportunity to cover themselves from view is going to stress them out greatly.

Also, even though they may not always use the hides, I believe that just knowing they are there if needed can calm the animal down. My uromastyx would hide all the time when he only had one place to hide, but when I scattered multiple hides around his enclosure he was much more active and confident, likely because he could dive into one of many nearby hides if he got startled.

As far as the breeder who denies hides for their snakes, I suppose it is a valid theory, but I don't agree with it. For baby snakes, the lack of hiding places is a HUGE stressor (again, because their instinct is that everything can and will eat them), and stressed animals more easily succumb to illness or parasites. With proper handling outside the cage, any snake can easily become "tame," and will naturally feel less threatened as they get larger, but while you can eventually convince them that YOU aren't a predator, I don't think it is possible to convince them that they are completely safe from predators in a see-through enclosure. In my opinion, forcing a snake to remain in the open all the time, even in a cage, is bordering on cruel and unnecessary.

As for tortoises, it may be possible to force them to get used to you by depriving them of a refuge, but I don't think the potential benefits would outweigh the stress placed on the tortoise, especially when young. Also, as someone else mentioned, tortoise hides also double as microclimates, and are a much easier way to provide high humidity levels.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
dolfanjack said:
I love all your opinions even if I don't agree.:). I don't need anyone to justify to me how to keep my pets, I have as much experience as most here. I wanted to participate in a discussion about an aspect of our hobby many people take for granted. I haven't argued with anyone, but people can give their opinion without using the op or his family as an example of the topic. I don't believe I have tried to change anyones mind, all I was saying to NERD was if I was born into a family with no shelter thats is all i would know.

I apologize for my previous comment. This thread is NOT in the debate section, so I thought you were asking for help in the matter of hides.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
PeanutbuttER said:
Archaeologist? That's pretty cool. Are you a professor somewhere then?

BTW, everything you said about humans is what I'd been taught in my biological anthropology classes.

Nope, I work for a private consulting firm. :)

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
wow. There are so many suggestions! I am a new R.F. owner and have been working on figureing all this out. I just changed over from a bark substrate to a more of a soil mix. Now i dont see him much cause he likes to dig and to hide. He is an indoor fellow in a tortoise table. I have noticed that since the change his skin doesnt look so dry now and that his head looks "moist". I was worried that he is sweating, but someone mentioned the humidity they can make inside their "hide".
this is a very good forum, I am glad to have found it! its been helpful for this nervous new mom!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
As I understand it, the key question is whether removing additional shelter (aka- a hide) within an indoor habitat would force the tortoises to be more friendly.

I would suggest that friendliness would come from a combination of 'gentle exposure/conditioning' and rewards, rather than from a forced 'openness'.

That is, I would think that by being around your animal so it got used to your benevolent presence, and got rewarded for your being there. We know from decades of reports that tortoises will quickly come when someone approaches the habitat bearing food, so they learn and can accept the presence of people.

Moving from that to being petted would be simple operant conditioning.

On the other hand, removing the ability to withdraw and feel secure would seem to accomplish the opposite effect in prey species. Remember- big snakes and such are predators and assuming they would respond the same as a prey species would seem unrealistic.

I suspect the long-term lack of a hide would be a form of psychosis- like what affects many big cats in zoos that cannot offer adequate housing and they pace back and forth in a set path.

To use an analogy- you seem to be suggesting that a homeless person is friendlier than a person with a home. I am not sure I buy it.

Aside from this, I am intrigued by your idea that a tree, for example, is not a shelter. This seems to place an unnecessarily restrictive definition on the term 'shelter'. Trees shelter you from many kinds of predators and many kinds of weather- even ignoring the shelter options of holes in trees, hollow logs, fallen trees, and the root shelters of fallen trees.

NEtorts

10 Year Member!
North East
I believe in hides 100%! my torts absolutley love them... i have man made and natural...man made caves, caverns and tunnels....natural plants, stumps roots and grasses..... they love them and most nights when I patrol the yard i can find most of them in the same hides, night after night. they will wander around all day, using tunnels and door ways to get from one part of the pen to another but then when the sun goes down they find there way back to their favorite spot for the night...... they would do the same thing in the wild. I have searched for my young leo for 35 minute before ( needing to take him in for the night) and then find him right under my nose in a clump of grass that I already checked!!! camoflage....thats how they survive in the wild ... I am constantly changing/adding new places for my torts to hide and explore, just my thoughts

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I have six boxies and I can go outside in my boxie garden and I can find every one of them in their own favorite hiding spot. Chewy and Pi, always together under the ledge behind a big hosta plant, Kit and Kat also always together in the half log hide under the hardy hibiscus plant, Nora dug under the old log, and Nolie all the way in back of the cave. If it rains really hard, or there's a storm, they are all go in the big cave. Pio is always under the big Hosta plant until it starts to get dark, and then he goes into his cave. In the house, no matter what kind of hide I put in little Bindi's viv, she is always buried under the old log. So each one has their own spot, which make's them feel secure. Maybe it's like each one having their own room in a big house....

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Well it took me a whole glass of wine to get through this thread. My torts are very friendly, but they like their hides sometimes and sometimes they just dig a little hole in their substaight. I guess
My oppinion would be provide hides and let them choose if the want to use them. I don't know anything about snakes.....but my oppinion is that the should live outside in their native area. Okay so that is based on the fact that captive snakes creep me out, so I admit to being bias. Damn I am out of wine:(

Status
Not open for further replies.