corners

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
i have fixed up my cage for my baby sullie. he used to use the log as his hide spot, but lately he's gone to just sticking his nose in the corner of the glass/log and not going inside. he sleeps there a lot. i thought i read somewhere about torts going to corners a lot and that you could put a block or something in the corners to make to edges instead of one sharp corner. just wondering what the deal is with that? is it a problem that he's always stuck in a corner and won't go in his hide spot? maybe he feels more secure in that corner since the log has no real corners?

Attachments

• 100_4020.JPG
    100_4020.JPG
    431.1 KB · Views: 42

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
Hi! Hmm...what are your temps like? My first thought when looking at the enclosure was that it's a very large area with just one bulb to heat it. Also, if that is a screen top, there is a chance humidity isn't quite as high as most people aim for for young tortoises. If that's an MVB, UVB may not be getting through the screen and if any is, it am not be much because of the distance down to the bottom.

Was your tortoise more active before?
Is he always in the corners?
Has he eaten his greens normally recently?

Usually,people do things to the corners to prevent tortoises from sort of walking their way up to the point that they either climb out of an outdoor enclosure or tort table or flip onto their back in any enclosure, not because they hang out in the corners (but I can understand your feeling about disliking it, you want to see your tortoise walking around, using the hide, basking, etc. right?! :p not just lying in the corner)

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Try blocking one end of the log, something as simple as cardboard and thumbtacks will work. that way he will have a dark corner inside the log, it's worth a try.

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Missouri
thanks for the advice. i appreciate it. and understand more why they go in towards the corners now. thanks. and i was glad to see that link above again. had forgotten a couple of things that i'd seen in there before.

yes - that is screen in the top of the cage. the enclosure stays at 80 degrees at night and 82 or so during the day. it's high 70's at the edge of the cage. i keep the heat lamp in the center. the humidity level never goes under 60, but doesn't normally get over 75. i have wondered if maybe i should cover one of the screen holes to help with the humidity a little more. i'll do some more research and thanks for advice. i am just learning! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.