Are all mulberry trees safe?

Jimmy1

Location (City and/or State)
NYC
I live in NYC, and there is a huge mulberry tree right outside my home. Map from our parks department linked below with information on the tree. Are all mulberry tree leaves safe?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I live in NYC, and there is a huge mulberry tree right outside my home. Map from our parks department linked below with information on the tree. Are all mulberry tree leaves safe?

Okay its kind of weird that they have maps showing where trees are, but okay...

All mulberry tree leaves are safe and good tortoise food. I would not feed the actual mulberries to anything but a fruit eating species. Make sure they are not spraying this tree for mosquitos in the warmer months. Some cities do that. You can also rinse the leaves by soaking them in a bucket of water before feeding.

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

All mulberry tree leaves are safe and good tortoise food. I would not feed the actual mulberries to anything but a fruit eating species. Make sure they are not spraying this tree for mosquitos in the warmer months. Some cities do that. You can also rinse the leaves by soaking them in a bucket of water before feeding.
Tom did you mean to make sure they are NOT spraying for mosquitoes? I'm assuming you did.

Last edited:

Jimmy1

NYC

Yeah, NYC tracks everything!
But, they do spray for mosquitos in some years via some airfcraft and we are just advised to close all windows etc. Will just soak the leaves/rinse regardless.

Thanks everyone!