Aquarium make-over project - local library children's room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
At my local library, there have a very very nice children's area, and in it was a fish tank. It always made me sad to look at it - I would see the kids get all excited and run up wanting to see the fish, but the tank was, well, pathetic. Beyond pathetic. It was very, very neglected, and contained only 6 fish - a blue and a gold gourami, two cories, and two common plecos. The gouramis were constantly beating on each other, because there was nothing to divide territories, the cories needed friends, the plecos were totally inappropriate for the tank, and it needed a good cleaning, a water change, a water top off, and help in general. None of the fish moved a whole lot, they were all trying to hide behind the heaters and filter intake, etc.

I don't exaggerate.

006.jpg

After listening to my 8 year old daughter complain to the librarian about it, I couldn't take it any more, lol. I practically begged them to let me help. For one thing, I just wanted to set a good example for the kids that would get their own tank someday. I wanted to make something pretty and a little more active and exciting.

So, I am the new caretaker of the tank. I got it totally redone and scaped yesterday, and today, the fish went in ;) I kept the original two gouramis, the two cories, and rehomed the plecos. I added 7 giant danios, 3 more cories, two Bolivian cichlids, a Bolivian Ram cichlid, and a bristlenose pleco. I also changed the substrate to sand and planted it with anubias, crypts, and some valisnera.

In a couple of weeks when the plants are a bit thicker, I'll replace the background with black to make it pop more. But all in all, I'd say it is an improvement, don't you think? ;)

023.jpg

026.jpg

024.jpg

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D Even just adding water to it would have been a big improvement. :D Glad you did this for them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Very pretty, Kristina. Just what you needed...another project!!!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
No budget, I did it on my own. I really enjoyed doing it. I am at the library a couple of times a week any way, so maintaining it won't be a big deal ;)

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Hey....What happened to the cool alligator skull?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
The plecos were so starved that they ate the paint off the top of it. I am going to repaint it (Krylon Fusuon is aquarium safe) before I put it back in. I want to buy some more cute decorations, but it will probably have to wait until after Christmas... I'm tapped out lol. (My kids have that same skull in their tank ;) )

Status
Not open for further replies.