Any sulcata keepers in KS?

feralbookeater

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
TLDR; how much clearance should a fence for a sulcata have? How do you keep them warm in the winter? Has anyone here dug a pit like enclosure? Anyone from KS here? Any reputable rescues for Sulcatas?

Hello! Looooooongtime lurker, first time poster. My husband and I live on a farm in eastern KS with several acres to ourselves, and a lot of hay and grasses growing on our land. We also grow a lot of our own food. 'd like to keep a sulcata outdoors here, and I'd like to hear from anyone who has done so successfully in KS. We live in an interesting micro climate where we're often at least 10 degrees warmer than the nearby towns. There's about 2-4 weeks out of the year at most where temps get at or below freezing in our specific area, so I am very aware we'd need to have a heated shed or quonset hut type thing as well. I'd like to hear from people who have semi successfully tortoise proofed a structure for these loveable bulldozers.

As far as enclosure space goes, I'm thinking about a 5th of an acre, but also allowed out for supervised time roaming. I plan to make a log fence and dig the logs into the ground a foot or two, but my question is how high should I make the fence line? Another option is digging a pit using some equipment we have, or a combination of the log fence and a pit dug into a hill.

My timeline is late 2023 or more likely early 2024. I'd like to take my time and really make this whole endeavor a slow, steady, patient process using bushcraft and permaculture derived techniques. I want this enclosure to be a little sanctuary and a geo heirloom (not that I expect that it will be treated like an heirloom at all!!!!)

Any and all advice is appreciated:)

Owllea

NE Kansas
Hello there fellow Kansan!

I’m by no means a seasoned keeper, but just began a journey with sulcata keeping in NE Kansas in spring of 2022 with two ‘Craigslist rescue’ two year olds. They were kept in a tortoise table, together, with no outdoor exposure and low temps/humidity. We have spent most of the past year correcting diet and husbandry in separate spaces, thanks to the knowledge gained here. We are not planning on keeping both as full grown adults, but could not let them be kept in their previous space and knew we could house two separately and correctly until a good home could be found for one. We are not a ‘rescue’ organization, but would love to stay in touch as you explore the wonderful possibility of adding a sulcata to your property.

We have ours on about 2 acres of mixed prairie and brome in summer, with intentions of a deep pit/cob like burrow structure that is their summer safe night house. Since they are smaller, we still kept them indoors at night and when temps were not ideal this past year. However, the long term plan is for them to have the pasture - our version of a horse as a pasture ornament - probably just as much work but a little less common :). Fencing when adult should be high enough they can’t see above it so we are preparing for the permanent enclosure to be 18 inches tall at least. They did fine with walls about 12 inches high this year. Some fellow tortoise keepers have success with cinder block. If you are planning a permaculture style, perhaps a deep-dug huglekulture mound with rocks as the base and throughout the wall could work for your fence barrier. Where we are, there is a huge limestone layer so they can’t get very far digging. The soil is clay and not fun to dig in. If your area is easier to dig in, digging down several feet to secure the enclosure may be best.

Ours love mulberry leaves and rose of Sharon, which could be used in a permaculture space. They eat dandelion and clover, as well as some other common weeds. Our two are too young to enjoy hay, but hope they can bond with it as they grow. We have access to teff hay and brome where we are. They did graze on the prairie grasses in the pasture pretty well.

We get cold enough up here in fall through spring where they cannot be safely outdoors without a permanent heat source. The current winter set up is in the basement of the heated house with supplemental heat and uvb, regular soaking, and as much variety in forage as winter can provide in our area. We are dealing with just 7 - 8 inch torts right now, so have not needed to build a large permanent winter housing situation yet. However, our basement is not a long term winter plan as they grow since they need a nice roaming area with good 80 degree temps, plus warmer basking spots. We have yet to decide how to build it but would love to brainstorm with you. There are great resources here. Most I’ve read about included a heated area with low ceiling and a floor insulated with horse stall mats. Heating the space in the most cost effective way is the trick. We’ve pondered many ways to get proper temps to emulate their temperature needs: oil radiators and Kane mats for at least a certain area of the enclosure seem ideal. A quanset hut has great space but insulation would be tough I think.

Anyway, I’m not sure if I’ve added to any of your knowledge, but love hearing about people thinking through all the possibilities. I feel so sad that these majestic creatures are so common in environments that make their existence a challenge without significant investment, as most people are not prepared to make the big changes to their space that you are considering. So good luck, and if you are in a position to bring a tortoise to your farm, let me know if a 3-4yr old sulcata is what you are looking for. Ours are given Tortoise Forum recommended care as long as they are under our roof. (Surprisingly, they are not showing signs of metabolic bone disease but definite pyramiding. They may be stunted as adults given their small size as two year olds.)

feralbookeater

Kansas
Hello there fellow Kansan!

I’m by no means a seasoned keeper, but just began a journey with sulcata keeping in NE Kansas in spring of 2022 with two ‘Craigslist rescue’ two year olds. They were kept in a tortoise table, together, with no outdoor exposure and low temps/humidity. We have spent most of the past year correcting diet and husbandry in separate spaces, thanks to the knowledge gained here. We are not planning on keeping both as full grown adults, but could not let them be kept in their previous space and knew we could house two separately and correctly until a good home could be found for one. We are not a ‘rescue’ organization, but would love to stay in touch as you explore the wonderful possibility of adding a sulcata to your property.

We have ours on about 2 acres of mixed prairie and brome in summer, with intentions of a deep pit/cob like burrow structure that is their summer safe night house. Since they are smaller, we still kept them indoors at night and when temps were not ideal this past year. However, the long term plan is for them to have the pasture - our version of a horse as a pasture ornament - probably just as much work but a little less common :). Fencing when adult should be high enough they can’t see above it so we are preparing for the permanent enclosure to be 18 inches tall at least. They did fine with walls about 12 inches high this year. Some fellow tortoise keepers have success with cinder block. If you are planning a permaculture style, perhaps a deep-dug huglekulture mound with rocks as the base and throughout the wall could work for your fence barrier. Where we are, there is a huge limestone layer so they can’t get very far digging. The soil is clay and not fun to dig in. If your area is easier to dig in, digging down several feet to secure the enclosure may be best.

Ours love mulberry leaves and rose of Sharon, which could be used in a permaculture space. They eat dandelion and clover, as well as some other common weeds. Our two are too young to enjoy hay, but hope they can bond with it as they grow. We have access to teff hay and brome where we are. They did graze on the prairie grasses in the pasture pretty well.

We get cold enough up here in fall through spring where they cannot be safely outdoors without a permanent heat source. The current winter set up is in the basement of the heated house with supplemental heat and uvb, regular soaking, and as much variety in forage as winter can provide in our area. We are dealing with just 7 - 8 inch torts right now, so have not needed to build a large permanent winter housing situation yet. However, our basement is not a long term winter plan as they grow since they need a nice roaming area with good 80 degree temps, plus warmer basking spots. We have yet to decide how to build it but would love to brainstorm with you. There are great resources here. Most I’ve read about included a heated area with low ceiling and a floor insulated with horse stall mats. Heating the space in the most cost effective way is the trick. We’ve pondered many ways to get proper temps to emulate their temperature needs: oil radiators and Kane mats for at least a certain area of the enclosure seem ideal. A quanset hut has great space but insulation would be tough I think.

Anyway, I’m not sure if I’ve added to any of your knowledge, but love hearing about people thinking through all the possibilities. I feel so sad that these majestic creatures are so common in environments that make their existence a challenge without significant investment, as most people are not prepared to make the big changes to their space that you are considering. So good luck, and if you are in a position to bring a tortoise to your farm, let me know if a 3-4yr old sulcata is what you are looking for. Ours are given Tortoise Forum recommended care as long as they are under our roof. (Surprisingly, they are not showing signs of metabolic bone disease but definite pyramiding. They may be stunted as adults given their small size as two year olds.)
Thank you for all this information!!!! I would definitely be interested in meeting you and your torts at some point after making headway with this undertaking. I love hearing about other people considering cobb, as we are very interested as well. I am curious if you have seen any propane options on the market for heating, as we have access to very reasonable propane prices.