Potential Sulcata Owner

HeyIt'sDelilah

Hello, I'm hoping to get a baby Sulcata in a few weeks or so and I'm trying to figure everything out before he or she comes home.

I live in FL, around the Tampa area and since I live somewhere so warm and humid I'd definitely like to put my big yard to use with housing my Sulcata. During the summer months humidity is typically 50%-70% and the temps are usually in the 90's, 80's, or rarely 70's, on a cooler day. I've been reading all about how important humidity is in preventing many potential problems for tortoises, babies especially, but some people have said 40-60% humidity is enough while some have said as much as 80% is needed to prevent these problems. Would the natural weather here be enough to keep my baby sulcata healthy? Of course I would make sure that he/she would have shade and an extra humid hide as well, I want to make sure I take good care of him/her :)

Also, I would like to ask if anyone has successfully raised babies outside in an enclosure or if it really is best to get a tank (and if so, how long should they be kept in the tank?).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

We have some up-to-date info on raising baby sulcatas. Go to the Sulcata section and read the first few threads at the top of the section. Also, under Tortoise and Turtle Articles, you'll find more info that will help keep the new tortoise keeper from making mistakes.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Florida is a little wet, so make sure your tort will have a dry, warm place to sit. Babies can be keep in a tank until they grow up a bit.
Good luck with your baby!