New Encosure

Clawem

Finished the new outdoor enclosure 24x48 feet. Night box is one designed by Tom, Night temperatures are kept 85-87 degrees hope that is warm enough. Took 1 day for Cosmo and Wanda to go in at night and now a few days later they go in at night all by themselves ( don't know if male or female). They just turned 4 and are doing really well and love all the extra space they now have.Hope this is good for a couple of more years lol.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
I am guessing Sulcata. Depending on where and how you measure that temp, it sounds high to me too. Unless your probe is up high in the box. I set my thermostat just about 80F for my Sulcata. The humidity you are maintaining could affect this too.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I keep my sulcata's night box at about that temp in the winter. This time of the year I set it at about 70. It never gets down near that. It might be as low as 80° when he goes in for the night, but his body heat will raise the box temp several degrees.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I keep my sulcata's night box at about that temp in the winter. This time of the year I set it at about 70. It never gets down near that. It might be as low as 80° when he goes in for the night, but his body heat will raise the box temp several degrees.
I didn't think cold blooded animals had body heat.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
They don't generate their own heat, they acquire it during the day, and bring it into their burrow or night box at night.

Clawem

Yes they are sulcatas you guys think the temp is too warm for them at night? I do measure the temp at tortoise level. No problem for me to set it a little lower, They do both hang out right next to the heater at night.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I don't know where you are located - that would make a difference. At 4 years, we are not talking hatchlings and your torts are probably at least 15 - 20 lbs by now. If in a very cool area, I would set to 80F. That's all they would need for a night box. If in a warmer area in the summer - that gets 80F+ in the day and nights drop to 60F at the lowest, I would even set lower such as Dizisdalive - at 70F. Save some electricity - the torts don't need it that hot with good outside basking time each day.

Clawem

I am located in NY. they are only in the 8 and 11 pound range. At night the temps have been in the mid 50's and days in the mid 80's.