Not open for further replies.

HtVic

5 Year Member
For a baby tort
How many times do you feed them daily?
when do you usually feed them?
what is amount of each time?

Here is my routine feeding per week:
I feed them once a day, feeding time between 8-10, let say if I wake up at 8 for school, then I will feed them around 9.
As for how many I feed them, I use exo terra small size as food dish, full bowl (I am thinking to change to medium, kind of small, i always worrying they cant get enough)

From Monday to Friday: Variety foods(hay, flower, leaves, grocery vege) , I stop feed them on Saturday. then on Sunday, he will have mazuri only with some grass.

so is this way ok?

Katherine

5 Year Member
What kind of baby tortoise are you feeding? Although I know there are periods of dormancy and periods of abundance for native plants in wild which I have heard many tortoise owners attempt to mimic, I personally do not skip a day of feeding for my baby tortoises. They have access to food all day long every day of the week. I recognize they may have to go a day or two without food in the wild, but I feel like because they are captive pets, I should provide them with the most optimal conditions I am capable of making available.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
It's usual to start with a pile of fresh food roughly the size of the shell and top up if it's all eaten. They rarely over eat and will stop when they've had enough but might come back for more later.

Once you work out how much your little one eats, you can adjust the size of the pile accordingly.

A tray of supermarket living lettuce makes a great browsing snack for after the main feed

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I feed my babies as much as they want. I put in a big pile in the morning and another at night. I adjust the amount as they grow so there is little to none wasted. When they eat every little scrap and leave nothing behind, I know its time to up the quantity again. As a general rule of thumb, each tortoise gets a pile about as big as they are.

M

Maggie Cummings

I'm with Tom on this one. I also feed my babies twice a day and I would never skip a day. What for? What good does it do? None but make him hungrier . It makes no sense

Status
Not open for further replies.