Hermann Tortoise Hatchling - when to eat/soak?

sbkturtle

Location (City and/or State)
Malvern, PA
Hello,
Brand new owner of two 6 wks old Hermann Hatchlings. I know they sleep a lot and like to browse when they are awake.

My question is should I wake them up to feed them and if so, what is a good feeding schedule for them? 3 times a day, 2 times a day? My biggest concern is they are tiny and clearly need to sleep, so I don't want to unnecessarily wake them up...

Picture of my lovely, tiny babies attached posing next to an ear bud case for size comparison

Attachments

• PXL_20240213_153609371.TS_exported_157312~2.jpg
    PXL_20240213_153609371.TS_exported_157312~2.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 2

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Safely you made the mistake of getting two. You will soon have to separate them. Tortoises should never be housed in pairs
When the lights come on in the a.m., give it a half hour or so and then give a warm soak for 30 minutes keeping them and water warm and then put them in front of a pile of food. Should be enough food to last them the day so they can graze off and on when they want.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I remember the days of having a handful of hatchlings. They soon grow and bully so separate and solo life is perfectly fine. They are grazers, provide fresh food AM and cleared away around 17.00 .
Please read this to check setup and care tips. Ask questions.

sbkturtle

Malvern, PA
Thank you! We will separate them once they are bigger (was always the plan 🤗). Appreciate the link to be article. This was one I read before purchasing/bringing home. However none of the articles prepped me for the feeding/sleep schedule. I know tortoises do not run on "human" time, so it was making me anxious that one was up and browsing and the other burrowed in/sleeping so much of the day. Definitely feeling a little better for soaking and feeding. Just so anxious to ensure we give them everything to thrive. One definitely seems to be an "early bird" and the other more of a "night owl"

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you! We will separate them once they are bigger (was always the plan 🤗).
They need to be separated now. Not later. That is why you are seeing this already:
...so it was making me anxious that one was up and browsing and the other burrowed in/sleeping so much of the day.
Groups of juveniles can sometimes work, but never pairs. They each need their own enclosures right now. Today. The chronic stress is enough to cause babies to fail to thrive, and that is clearly what is already happening.

There is a lot of incorrect information out there, even from "well respected" breeders. Here is all the correct care info:

Questions are welcome. Our goal is to help you succeed.