Ambient Humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wewt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
British Columbia, Canada
Hey!

I am building a room in my garage for my tortoise. The vet said I should watch for high humidity levels, but did not specify what "high" means.

What should I try and keep the humidity levels at for my adult sulcata? Note: He still soaks 2x a week and is offered water daily.

Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Doesn't matter for an adult. High humidity is needed for babies. Adults will adapt to whatever you've got. They do great in super dry AZ, and they do great in super wet FL. High humidity would only be a problem if temps were getting too cold. Other than that, a benefit of higher humidity will be to slow down water loss through respiration.

Wewt

5 Year Member
British Columbia, Canada
Awesome, thanks, Tom! Already spent a gazillion dollars on a heater and an air purifier, a $300 dehumidifier was not what my bank account wanted to see. I'll have pics up soon of his new space.

manetteaplin

5 Year Member
Tom when you say humidity doesn't matter when they are adults, at what age do you consider them adults??

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Ambient Humidity

manetteaplin said:
Tom when you say humidity doesn't matter when they are adults, at what age do you consider them adults??

Think of size rather than age. An 8"-10" sulcata is the size where a high humidity environment is no longer needed. These guys and the even larger adults need access to water and self soaking areas but that's about it.

Sent from my TFOapp

ashleym

5 Year Member
Team Gomberg said:
manetteaplin said:

Think of size rather than age. An 8"-10" sulcata is the size where a high humidity environment is no longer needed. These guys and the even larger adults need access to water and self soaking areas but that's about it.

Sent from my TFOapp

I was wondering the same thing, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.