aloe vera

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi
I was shopping in IKEA tonight and saw a very nice aloe vera potted plant, which I have read on one of the forums is OK to give as a treat. However as it is a shop bought plant (looks like it's grown in coco coir which they also sell in blocks) will it be OK to give to Lola the Leopard straight away or should I wait and replant it to make sure there are no additives/chemicals etc? I've never fed this before so do you just chop a bit off one of the leaves or give a whole leaf for them nibble on? (I've seen the post on how to offer it but wondering which way would be best)

Many thanks
Lyn

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I would assume that it has chemicals. My grocery store actually sells very large aloe vera, "Leaves" or "pads"whatever you call them :) they also sell cactus so I'm very happy. I buy the aloe vera and just chop a piece off and give it to my Russian tortoise.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Lyn, after all of that you may find that your tortoise wont touch the stuff. It grows wild here and a lot of our Carribean/Americans use it for health reasons. They eat it. They drink it. They rub it on their skin.......It is very bitter and my tortoises seem to despise the flavor. Yours may or may not care for it.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
I have some planted in their outdoor enclosure and I'll notice they nibble on it every now and then. But mainly just the new growth or new sprouts.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks all, it was only a couple of £s so no great loss if she doesn't like it. I am always on the look out for a wider variety of food for her as struggling to get decent weeds at moment in UK. I can always use it for health reasons myself - I may be a changed woman for the New Year!
Best wishes

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
My Russians like it as a treat :)

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Is the entire root system in coir or just a top layer? If there's any dirt in there I'd pull it out, wash the roots and plant, then repot on safe soil before you feed. I've got it planted for my reds and my Sulcata but neither eat it. I haven't chopped any up for them so I may try that.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
My Leopards like it. My 6 year old recently got into the planted pot and ate the whole plant to the ground. He had to push the pot across his enclosure, get on top of his hide to reach it. Took some determination.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Mine never showed interest until one day I came home to this....

and soon enough it was all gone straight down to as far as he could go.

Attachments

• IMG_0066.JPG
    IMG_0066.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0065.JPG
    IMG_0065.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0067.JPG
    IMG_0067.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 42

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
My leopards ate it like candy and now it is all gone. Leave your guys outside long enough and you will have nothing but dirt and bushes with no leaves on them below 10 inches. :D

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I'll have a look at the roots Tortdad - thanks for the advice. Seems it's a matter of taste for diff torts. I did snip a tip off one pad today to see if Lola perked up the way she does if she catches a sniff of tomato or cucumber but she didn't look interested. I will replant and in time see if she changes her mind when the whole plant is available. Love those pics Tyanna and the idea that Jodie's tort planned a way of getting at he plant makes me chuckle. Thanks all.