aloe vera

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yes... I routinely buy large fresh aloe pads, 1 to 1.5 ft long, and chop up for our Sully along with opuntia cactus pads. When she was smaller i used to trim the aloe points off, but no longer do this.

✅ Aloe Vera
  • Common Name: Aloe (Aloe Vera)
  • Latin Name: Aloe spp; esp. Aloe vera, syn. Aloe vulgaris/Aloe barbadensis
  • Family Name: Xanthorrhoeaceae
Although this plant is said to be toxic to cats, dogs and some other mammals, the Aloe is fine to feed to tortoises in moderation but if too much is fed it can have a slight laxative effect. Aloe Vera gel can be rubbed on minor skin wounds to aid healing.

Although most Aloe Vera flowers are yellow, many of the hybrids have orange flowers.

nicoleann2214

NY
Yes... I routinely buy large fresh aloe pads, 1 to 1.5 ft long, and chop up for our Sully along with opuntia cactus pads. When she was smaller i used to trim the aloe points off, but no longer do this.

✅ Aloe Vera
  • Common Name: Aloe (Aloe Vera)
  • Latin Name: Aloe spp; esp. Aloe vera, syn. Aloe vulgaris/Aloe barbadensis
  • Family Name: Xanthorrhoeaceae
Although this plant is said to be toxic to cats, dogs and some other mammals, the Aloe is fine to feed to tortoises in moderation but if too much is fed it can have a slight laxative effect. Aloe Vera gel can be rubbed on minor skin wounds to aid healing.

Although most Aloe Vera flowers are yellow, many of the hybrids have orange flowers.
Thanks! @Maro2Bear :)

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
I feed my sully, who is 80 pounds, a chunk a day. I do not take any chances and go through the trouble of peeling and soaking with rinsing about 3 times. I store it in a plastic container in fridge for the week, rinsing every few days. In this picture I cut it into thirds, to show you how much I feed each day. It's gooey but Alice does eat it with no ill effects. I watched a you tube video on how to soak it for people to use.

aloe2.jpg