Almost Home (Construction of Outdoor Enclosure)

Yurusumaji

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Mile High City
We finally got a beautiful day without rain! So we spent it getting GusGus' enclosure up (hubbs did pretty much everything). We are waiting on seeds so that we can plant it, but he can't overnight in there anyway as we are due for more rain/flooding and the nights are still too cold. Still, at least it's up now and ready to go once the seeds arrive.

This is one of the 8'x4' outdoor dog kennels you can buy through Home Depot. GG is a full-grown adult Greek. We're currently using our natural soil.

The yard was completely overgrown after winter. This was good motivation to mow it.
18097426621_3c2c16c70c.jpg

Our groundbreaking was interrupted by a very aggressive hailstorm. These were taken almost 2 weeks apart.
18069946806_5cc2fde46d.jpg

17473849654_a5a30b8213.jpg

Captain made sure dad was doing it right. He also helped trim down the chicken wire where needed. ;)
17908749950_3331d95239.jpg

We buried chicken wire below the kennel and zip-tied it to the bottom all the way around. I am aware they won't hold up forever, but we expect to move by next summer and the winters here start early, so I suspect they'll only need to last 3-4 months tops.
17910204909_f5ce210174.jpg

Ta-da! Not much to look at yet, but happy it's up and running. Can't wait to plant it!
17910200919_14535dfd62.jpg

Yurusumaji

5 Year Member
The Mile High City
He's up and exploring a bit. I put the shell of a sandbox turtle up on he back corner to provide some shade now that the sun has moved.
17909985908_2f7bd7dfbc.jpg

I actually think 'he' might be a 'she'. Cutie, either way.
18094483952_8aa6f2554d.jpg

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Looks good and safe from predators - just needs lots of edible plants for shelter and nibbles and some hides now. You may want to put some boards around the base to block his view so he doesn't spend all his time trying to get out through the wires and maybe hurt himself. My tort will try to get out of any gap he finds - the other man's grass is always greener!

Love the rabbit watching - prob thinks the new des res is for him!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Looks good. Definitely agree about the boards around the bottom, probably 12 inches high would work. Also, make some hills for your tortoise in case it does rain he can get to "higher ground if you can't get to him soon. The boards around the edges would make it possible for you to pile dirt in there so that he can dig some also if he wants. The rabbit is very cute.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
this is one of my favorite ideas...simple n Easy he put the wire low enough you can plant anything in there. if it gets cool out you can always put some clear painters plastic around it to hold Some heat in. Like a green house.

Yurusumaji

5 Year Member
The Mile High City
Thanks, Lyn! The first thing he did was poke his head out of the bars. We will be lining the sides and back with wood to keep him from doing this.

leigti - We have buried the chicken wire a bit so he can dig a little, though more space for digging never hurts. We will be lining the bottom with wood. This could also provide a bit of extra safety from curious critters. We have to go to Home Depot to grab some river rocks and flat rocks, so I think we'll grab some wood while we're there and line the back and sides and build the hill for him. I think I'll dig out a burrow for him while I'm at it.

teresaf - Thank you! We like it, too. We toyed with many ideas, but went with this since it can move with us, it's sturdy, it's meant for the outdoors, and it has a solid top that will keep the birds of prey from flying off with the tort. Plus we can get into it, which will make it easy to plant/clean/decorate/tort hunt in. I like the idea of the painter's plastic! I hadn't thought of that.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
......or blocks whatever is best for your weather and budget really. I've seen some pics of enclosures here that put paving slabs inside around the perimeter to deter diggers too, there's lots of options really.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Love it! you can use the tops of birdbath for your water dish as well so they can get in it and soak....

you could use a hose to clean that out you wouldn't have to lift it up To pour it out. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Nice. I'm sure little GusGus is going to be very happy in there.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I think you did a great job! I would plant it up and maybe provide another hide on the opposite side of the enclosure.
Sweet!

Yurusumaji

5 Year Member
The Mile High City
What type of roof does the kennel kit come with? Is it open or does it have a wire roof?
I like that kennel.

The roof is open under the tarp. The tarp honestly is the roof, with 3 metal beams underneath that hold it up. You could easily fasten chicken wire to it if you wanted something extra up top.

I think you did a great job! I would plant it up and maybe provide another hide on the opposite side of the enclosure.
Sweet!

Plants should ship tomorrow. I had to wait for GO to get some new stock in :) I will definitely consider a second hide. I'll have to figure out how small I can make one since I can't stack dirt very high on the front end.

Yurusumaji

5 Year Member
The Mile High City
The plants, especially the grass (YAY GRASS!) has finally started to grow. I will have to dig up the whole open area since hubbs didn't bury the grass seed there and our soil is hard-packed clay, so there's no chance it'll grow as is. :p

Still need to get rocks and such. I've been extremely ill for the last 2 weeks, so we are a bit behind schedule.

18927280972_f9e143154c_z.jpg

18935476541_06c42bcde4_z.jpg

18927274992_e30d2957ae_z.jpg

Yurusumaji

5 Year Member
The Mile High City
Major changes! Sorry about the dry water bowls. I had the watering can out with me, but it was my first time ever seeing him graze and I got really excited and didn't want to disturb him (he HATES it when I make it rain), but I got him wet anyway and washed and got water into both water dishes. I'm so happy, I can finally ban daddy from feeding him all the junk lettuce he loved to give him. My tortoise is outside being a normal tortoise! *happy squeals*

*I know the hide is collapsed on one side. He still fits, it's not tight at all so I've just kind of left it and it doesn't seem to bother him since he's in there so much. If it collapses further I'll build him a better one.*

19564359220_459c8544c9_z.jpg

19757065131_a616e46c1c_z.jpg

19131474013_77283e6c5b_z.jpg

19131472413_1309e2c6c7_z.jpg

I didn't get notifications anyone had replied to this, ha ha. So on another note, yes, I am MUCH better now. Thank you!