starting an outdoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

russianhenry

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
My Dad and I are trying to plan out an outdoor enclosure for Lola. We have two spots in our backyard where we would like to build. One is mostly dirt and one is grass. I really dont know which one to pick. I wanted to make a little picket fence maybe with some chicken wire around it(or between the fence?) too, so she doesnt get out. I know I need to dig under and put up something so she doesnt get out as well. I live in south Texas, on a hill, so its really rocky. The part that isnt rocky is mainly dirt. So I was wondering if yal could give me any pointers? Please? Its still too cold but we wanted to have it all set up and ready for when she can come out.

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Oklahoma
Here is a link to a thread with my outdoor Russian enclosure.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-my-Russians

I dug down a foot below ground level and placed some thick plastic screening material there so they could not dig down past it. I then filled it back up to grade and built it up with landscape timbers. I then filled the timbers up with a mixture of dirt, peat moss and sand. It has worked really well and they haven't even come close to digging down far enough to even get to the plastic mesh.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
I also dug down about a foot, and lined the trench with cinder blocks we had lying around. Then sank the wooden planks (walls) about 2-3 inches below the surface too. Oscar spent all summer in the tort yard and never dug once! Some are diggers, some are not though...Have fun with your project!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Red Earth Exotics said:

I dug down a foot below ground level and placed some thick plastic screening material there so they could not dig down past it. I then filled it back up to grade and built it up with landscape timbers. I then filled the timbers up with a mixture of dirt, peat moss and sand. It has worked really well and they haven't even come close to digging down far enough to even get to the plastic mesh.
I like your enclosure.

russianhenry

5 Year Member
Texas
Red Earth Exotics said:

That looks really nice. So do you recommend an above ground one like yours, or one on the ground? As long as I put mesh under.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
that enclosure just inspired me. I was planning on building an outdoor enclosure for my russian this spring to use for the summer, those pics are now saved on my computer to look back on. thanks!

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Oklahoma
glad my enclosure could be inspiration!

i personally like the raised enclosure better than one on the ground. it's more work, but well worth it as far as i'm concerned. i don't have to worry about my kids running around and accidentally tripping or stepping into the enclosure. also, it brings them up closer to me so i can interact with them better. plus, Mr. T (my adult male sulcata) won't be able to push into their enclosure and stomp on 'em!

Status
Not open for further replies.