All about poop!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TragicQuietus

5 Year Member
XD this may seem like one of those questions... but on average, how often do your torts poop? (age included too please) I deal with a lot of reptiles of all sorts every day and it's always a happy thing to see dropping, more so with older animals as many don't eat every day. You can tell a lot by droppings. I have no worries about Gam's eating pooping ratio, it just sort of popped into mind.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
There really is no rule. How much and how often completely depends upon a number of factors such as: How much (volume) they were previously fed, how much of that their bodies used efficiently (nutrition), how well hydrated they are, how active, as well as other minor factors. Generally most seem to defecate once daily to every other day under normal conditions.
I don't pay as close attention to how often as I do what consistency and color comes out and what the consistency is. What's most important is what goes in!

TragicQuietus

5 Year Member
Well put! I just had the random thought while Gam was making nice little gift in her water dish at an unusual hour of the night. (glad i was up to clean it right away) She's on average on ever day to day and a half, depending on what greens she has or if she picks her pellets. The more info for everyone is always a good thing!

starjess81

5 Year Member
KY
After getting my torts about a month ago, I decided to add mazuri to my torts and box turtles diet. None of them except my female boxie, fiona has taken to it. She went to town the moistened mazuri a few days ago. Well.....last night I had her soaking in the tub and was feeding her earthworms, I left the room to do something....came back to check and she made a HUGE poopy. Probably 2.5 times larger in diameter than her normal. I was in shock so I made my hubby come look...lol must be due to the fiber in the mazuri? I had a good laugh!

TragicQuietus

5 Year Member
The first time I gave Gam the ZooMed pellets that happened. It's higher in fiber then mazuri I think. It was hard to imagine something that big coming out of someone that small!
(Sidebar: Everyone should look up the theme for Gamera as every time I read my own siggy it gets stuck in my head and I feel everyone should suffer the same fate...)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I don't pay attention to how much my smaller torts poop, but my 6 year old sulcata poop always varies. Some time I have to clean up poop on a daily basis and some times it every other day. I prefer to do it every day because it's less to clean, lol....

Status
Not open for further replies.