Tortoise poop

speedyTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
Hey guys! I have a few questions about my 10 year old Russian tortoises poop. First of all, what does healthy poop look like? What is the consistency? Also, how does healthy poop look like when my tortoise poops during a soak. Is the water supposed to break it apart easily or is the poop supposed to still be hard in water?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What I see for healthy poop is a log. Most of the time it's very grassy looking.
Yes, usually the water in a soak will break of some if not all of the log.
Even if the log is kinda mushy but still a log, it's good.
Hershey squirts or a mushed pile, is not so healthy, but, only if it's several times a day, for a few days. Even then, you want to be sure to check what you fed him, if there's anything he could have eaten he shouldn't have, before jumping to a vet. When it comes to poop, if you have a concern, just have a stool sample ran for parasites.

speedyTortoise

North Carolina
What I see for healthy poop is a log. Most of the time it's very grassy looking.
Yes, usually the water in a soak will break of some if not all of the log.
Even if the log is kinda mushy but still a log, it's good.
Hershey squirts or a mushed pile, is not so healthy, but, only if it's several times a day, for a few days. Even then, you want to be sure to check what you fed him, if there's anything he could have eaten he shouldn't have, before jumping to a vet. When it comes to poop, if you have a concern, just have a stool sample ran for parasites.
Ok, thanks. My torts poop should be healthy then.