running poop...

Status
Not open for further replies.

taurusgi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Hello! I'm a worried mom with 2 Hermann babies!

The younger one (Panda George) is 6 months old, and the older one (Shiao-Heh) is about 18 months old. The older is the one who has been having running poop for more than 2 weeks! I'm really worried because Shiao-Heh has been pooping really soft poop, almost look like diarrhea, and started from yesterday, it seemed like she was pooping a little bit at a time all over the place... I found tiny poop residue (?) here and there in their home. :(

I read some other posts on the forum and they said it might be because of the change of diet. I did started feeding them Mazuri twice a week about 4-5 weeks ago (each time they share 1 Mazuri, so one of them only got half of it, actually). I didn't think Mazuri caused the running poop because Panda George is still pooping fine. That's why I can't figure out what happened. They live together and eat the same food. Should I be worried about it? Shiao-Heh is still full of energy, running around all the time, eating like a little monster, and her eyes look clear, doesn't seem like she is getting sick.

Whenever I found her with running poop in the past 2 weeks, I picked her up and rinse her butt under warm running water to clean her butt... is it bad for her? Should I bring her to the vet? I'm not sure if the vet would see her since she is only 18 month old...

Sorry about all these questions. Hopefully I'm just over reacting.

Please give me some suggestion... I really appreciate it!! :tort:

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
you should start with taking a sample of the runny poop to the Vet so they can check for parasites. Get a fresh sample, put it in a plastic baggie and take it in.
It could be diet too..
Be sure the little guys is eating well and getting good soaks.. as runny poop can dehydrate.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kiki:

What, besides the Mazuri, do you feed them? Would it be possible for you to clip some grass and broad-leaf weeds from the yard to add to the regular food you feed? Grass helps to bind the waste together.

taurusgi

5 Year Member
CA
Thank you for the suggestions! Maybe I should start looking for a good vet... Does anybody know any good tortoise vet in San Diego?

I feed them organic spring mix from VONS. I live in an apt and I don't trust the grass in the complex. I tried to grow some grass in the pots but they all died when I was out of the country for 2 weeks in June and I haven't re-planted them yet. Every 2 or 3 weeks I would go to the organic supermarket and get them dandelion greens, collard greens, baby bok choy, radicchio, kale, etc. They don't like chard so I stop getting it. Shiao-heh is peeing white creamy chunks sometimes so I assume she is not dehydrated (yet?) I only have time to soak them on the weekends and I feed them cucumber during the soak so that they would stay in the water but not trying to escape constantly. I stopped feeding them cucumber during soak 2 weeks ago since Shiao-heh started having running poop.

Any idea on why Shiao-heh is the only one who is having issue? thank you!!

p.s. Yvonne, just out of curiosity, how did you know my name? ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
LOL!! I try very hard to "know" each and every one of our members. If you don't tell us your name, then I go back to previous threads and posts made by you and try to find it that way. One of your very first posts you signed "kiki." :p

These are the only two vets we have listed on our list for San Diego:

Thomas H. Boyer, DVM
Pet Hospital of Penasquitos
9888 Carmel Mt. Road, Suite F
San Diego, CA 92129
Tel: (858) 484-3490
Fax: (858) 484-3499

Jeffrey R Jenkins, DVM, ABVP (Avian)
Avian & Exotic Animal Hospital
2317 Hotel Circle South Suite C
San Diego, California 92108-3310
Tel: (619) 260-1412
Fax: (619) 260-1499

taurusgi

5 Year Member
CA
haha.. ic... that's sweet of you to remember our names, Yvonne! :)

I just made a reservation with Avian & exotic animal hospital for next Saturday morning. They said I should bring both of my babies in, just in case... Will keep you guys posted!! Thank you for your help! I'm so nervous now...... fingers crossed!!

Status
Not open for further replies.